Fix Tub Faucet Drip?

annecJuly 16, 2010

Bathtub faucet drips. Can't see the brand. Removed the escutcheon, see pipes. Anyway, trying to remove the handle, I noticed there's no screw, but what looks like a stem inside the hole on the underside of the handle. Anybody know what that is?

I'd have to remove the tub surround to get at the pipes. I hope I can fix it without doing that.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I doubt that getting to the pipes would be of any help, anyway. Could it be that the hole you see is where the set screw should be but the handle is held firm by corrosion and/or a tight fit?
Is this a single control handle unit or are there two separate valves?

    Bookmark   July 18, 2010 at 1:38PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

It's a new single-handle Delta Monitor. I just bought the house in April. It was a flip....

It does look like there should be something there. I might try a plumbing supply store or something for a set screw, then.

    Bookmark   July 18, 2010 at 6:54PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Sounds like the set screw requires a hex wrench.

    Bookmark   July 19, 2010 at 8:02AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I have a drip in the bathtub since the house was built. My neighbor did also. She called the plumber when the house was new and it still leaked after he fixed it. They said something about a bit of something stuck inside was the problem. That's true with mine I think. I find that if I turn it on and off a couple of times it doesn't drip any more.

    Bookmark   July 20, 2010 at 3:41AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I removed the handle with an allen wrench but there are no proper washers, just a plastic disc and other plastic parts. Now what?

    Bookmark   July 24, 2010 at 4:05AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
    Bookmark   July 24, 2010 at 11:41AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Remove the cartridge and check for debris in the valve body and damage on the sealing faces.

These are cartridge faucets and do not use old style washers.

    Bookmark   July 24, 2010 at 12:30PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Help with smelly well water
Just a little background. We bought a house 3 years...
Can we bypass old hot water heater?
Any reason we can't bypass and then remove this old...
the dreaded frozen pipes...
Hello all, I hope someone out there can help me. I...
toilet flapper closes too fast
a 5 y.o. AS 4396 w/Fluidmaster guts. The flapper is...
Garden Hose iced over
Ok, I know I was stupid. I'm new to home ownership...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™