How to bench test copper plumbing?

uvascanyonJuly 18, 2013

We have a cabinet install next week and not sufficient time to finalize the connections below the house to the water supply and drain. We'd like to have the drain stub-out in place and the hot and cold water pipes sticking-out of the wall, then after the cabinet install make the proper connections in the crawl space...

We would feel better knowing that the copper pipes I sweated are leak-free before hanging the drywall and the cabinet install.

What comes-to-mind is sweating on a fitting to receive a hose, cap the other end, and see if it holds. Other ideas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
klem1

Where H&C are stubed out,go ahead and install angle stops. To allow connecting air pressure and psi guage at angle stops,solder on male or female pipe thread fittings to accomindate pipe thread angle stops. You can use the pipe threads to connect air fitting. Alternatly,you could just solder the stops to stub outs but make sure you know how you plan connecting air where facuect supply lines will connect latter. Beg,borrow,buy or steal a Dutch Finger to plug other end of H&C lines.

Bookmark   July 18, 2013 at 5:05PM
uvascanyon

klem1, thank you for the reply. I had never heard of "Dutch Finger" before... Thanks again.

Bookmark   July 19, 2013 at 6:52AM
klem1

You are most welcome. BTW,the best and most common brand is "Jet Sweat" and many plumbers say Jet Sweat regardless the mfgr's name. Great quility but pricy.

Bookmark   July 19, 2013 at 2:02PM
uvascanyon

Ingenious. For one time use, I can't justify the cost, but what a neat tool. For those who don't know (like I didn't previously), see the link below...

Thanks again klem1.

Here is a link that might be useful: Jet Swet

Bookmark   July 19, 2013 at 2:37PM
klem1

â¢Posted by uvascanyon (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 19, 13 at 14:37

Ingenious. For one time use, I can't justify the cost, but what a neat tool.
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
LOL, So now you understand why I included '' beg,borrow and steal" in options for aquiring one.

Bookmark   July 19, 2013 at 3:42PM
More Discussions
Quality of what general contactor is providing
I don't feel qualified to inspect my new home currently...
Larry Lotter
Hot water backflowing into cold supply
OK, I'm rephrasing my question, as what I'd asked before...
pjb999
Salt-free water conditioning
Hi all, Considering installing a water softener in...
tucker_troy
Central Valley Water Filtration Suggestions
We are stationed in Lemoore, CA 45 minutes south of...
nomar116
Electric Water Heater Problem
I have an electric water heater; about a month ago...
aeharris63
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™