Well Water: Staining Yellow

chunterJuly 19, 2007

I have a well with a water softener system. For some reason my water leaves yellow stains in my vanity sink, coffee maker and toilet bowls. I haven't noticed an objectionable odor or anything odd with the water otherwise - except that it seems to have a lot of minerals in it.

I really know nothing about the water softener system other than I put salt in it.

Any ideas what's up with my water?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
aliceinwonderland_id

If you've read through any of the other softener posts, this will sound like a broken record, but here goes: Get your water tested by an independent lab. Take liter samples of water before and after the softener to see what is in your water and how much of it the softener is (or is not) removing. You will find out quickly if your softener is doing its job. You want to know: calcium, magnesium, iron, pH, TDS (total dissolved solids), manganese, alkalinity (all 3 kinds), sulfur, sulfur dioxide, chloride, bacteria, etc. If you ask for a complete water test, like what they would do for a city water system, you will get all of that and more. Once you have the tests in hand, then some of us on GW can help steer you in the right direction to solve the problem. You will likely end up speaking to a local water treatment professional to help you make your current system operate properly or get the correct treatment system in place.

There are a variety of metals or metal/mineral combinations that can result in yellow staining, the most likely of which is iron. A well-designed softener can handle iron, up to a point. Very high iron requires a separate treatment method. However, this is premature until you have the water test results.

Bookmark   July 19, 2007 at 5:18PM
More Discussions
Pulldown sprayer leaking
My Moen pulldown faucet (with Reflex Technology!) was...
ginny20
Cold Water TOO COLD! What to do?
I know there is a lot of concern over regulating hot...
mrb6228
Sewer line disaster
originally posted on another website, but in the spirit...
bossyvossy
Culligan HE vs Kinetico Premier vs Fleck
Hi, After doing some research regarding the above water...
blessedmomof4
Freezeless Hydrant Frozen??
Hi, I have freezeless hydrant that has never given...
den75
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™