Whistling or screaming sound

jimracJuly 26, 2010

Hi all,

We have toto toilet, about 3-4 years old. It appears now on occasion, when its refilling, for it to make somewhat of a sound as above; I dont ever recall it doing when it was somewhat new?? Is this in the pipees??

Any ideas would be apprecaited,, thats if you can understand what I am describing!

Thank you

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
asolo

I think I know what you're describing. Be certain you've identified where it's coming from. Could be supply valve in the wall but I doubt it. I'm suspecting it's coming from toilet valve innards. Changes pitch as the tank fills, doesn't it? Please advise.

Bookmark   July 27, 2010 at 12:12PM
jimrac

Yes Aslo, its coming from toilet/bathroom area; does not appear to be int ehwalls and down below where the piping is. As to the change of pitch, well, not really, and also, it seems to come and go. I recall, it was happening about 4 months ago or so, and what I did was empty the tank, and cleaned out the thing with rags etc. I t seemed to work; until now again.

Also, you may find interesting, I have the ame toilet in another bathroom, and this started to do the same thing,, so I cleaned that one ot and it has stopped, and has not picked up again, at least for now..

Thanbk you

Jim

Bookmark   July 27, 2010 at 2:30PM
asolo

Bingo. Calcification-induced resonance frequency amplification. (Don't get excited. Just made that up.)

Basically, crap in the water adhering to internal components reaches an obstruction level where the water-flow itself induces a vibration which becomes audible. Generally increases over time.

Not familiar with your toilet's guts. Can you pop the top and clean it out? (Not to get excited. It WILL return after a while.)

Do you know water hardness? Soft water can delay the onset....sometimes indefinitely.

Bookmark   July 27, 2010 at 8:52PM
jimrac

Sure, thank you very much. We will get to work.

Bookmark   July 28, 2010 at 8:16AM
chris8796

I would replace the valvecap on the fill valve. Order a backup to have onhand. Search "Lavelle #R528 Korky ValveCap Assembly", $2 + s/h. It's also easy to replace.

Bookmark   July 28, 2010 at 9:15AM
More Discussions
Electric Water Heater Problem
I have an electric water heater; about a month ago...
aeharris63
how to turn off dual water handle on kitchen valves
I need to turn off water to kitchen sink. We have...
akaelsie
Help with smelly well water
Just a little background. We bought a house 3 years...
cmonkey
Faucets from Big Box stores truly Lower quality?
What's the thinking on this? Is it an Urban Myth perpetrated...
compumom
Fed up and ready to tackle my well water issues
I've been reading posts trying to educate myself for...
nutherokie
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™