loose kitchen faucet

ginny20July 6, 2012

My Moen single handle pull-down, installed 9/11, has come loose where it meets the counter and the whole thing swings around when you move the handle. I wrote Moen, and they said this can sometimes happen and we can just tighten it. So my DH did, which wasn't easy. He needed to use pliers because you really can't get a wrench up there perpendicular to the fitting. A month later, it's loose again. He tightened it again, although it's still not entirely tight now. He commented that maybe there was supposed to be a locking washer or nut or something (sorry, I don't know much, when I was in school girls only got to take home ec). Anyway, is this common? Is there a special 90 degree angled wrench you can use to tighten it? Should I contact the guy who put it in or just get another plumber to come look at it?


Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

What you need is a tool called a "Basin Wrench"

You can find a basin wrench in the Plumbing section of any hardware store or home supply like lowes or home depot.

A professional basin wrench has a telescoping handle and sells for about $35 but that would be major overkill for the average homeowner....

They make a homeowner grade that usually has a red handle for about $12 to $15 and it should last a lifetime in the home.

They are very easy to use, but sort of difficult to explain in words....I would suggest you go to a real hardware store where you will get a clerk who actually knows what they are talking about and they can explain it in a minute or less.

    Bookmark   July 6, 2012 at 2:41PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

That's it! Thanks, lazypup! I googled basin wrench and I can see how it is exactly what we need to do this. I prefer patronizing my local hardware store anyway, so I'll check there.

    Bookmark   July 6, 2012 at 3:20PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
how to turn off dual water handle on kitchen valves
I need to turn off water to kitchen sink. We have...
Electric Water Heater Problem
I have an electric water heater; about a month ago...
Water Softener - Help with Proper System Selection
Hello, I decided to put in a water softener system...
New Water Softener problem (Fleck 5000 ProFloSXT)
Hello, I recently moved into a home that uses well...
Do Electric water heaters from plumbing supply differ from home depot
Plumbers I feel rip people off when installing electric...
Sponsored Products
Modern Indoor/Outdoor Bungalow Flooring Rugs Aqua Shield Broken Brick Red 17.5
$29.97 | Home Depot
Hardy Chair - Bentley Daisey Yellow
Joybird Furniture
Interlocking Tile: IT-tile Garage Flooring Coin Black 20.5 in. x 20.5 in.
$3.60 | Home Depot
Fairmont Designs Reese Sofa - D3675-03
$969.99 | Hayneedle
Mandarin Ivory and Sage Rectangular: 5 Ft. x 8 Ft. Rug
$270.95 | Bellacor
Frontporch Sunflower Red Rectangular: 2 Ft. x 3 Ft. Indoor/Outdoor Rug
$39.90 | Bellacor
New Tribal Geometric Persian Balouch Runner 3x9 Hand Knotted Blue Wool Rug P933
BH Sun Inc
Hamilton Chair - Key Largo Pumice Beige
Joybird Furniture
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™