Barstools - counter height or bar height?

kellienoelleMarch 10, 2013

Hello all,
I am moving to a new house at the end of the month, and the kitchen has a penisula with room for stools. This in my first home with this type of seating, so I need to order some bar stools. I like the Julian Leather stools from Grandin road (I like that they are backless) and was going to order. However I can't decide on which height....counter height at 24" seems too low, bar height at 30" seems too high. Is there a "standard"? FYI I am 5'5" and husband is 6', no children. Here is a long shot of the room with the current HO's things (yes, I realize that the sink is located in a stupid place but am trying to get over it - maybe one day I'll move it to under the window)

Here is a link to the barstools

http://www.grandinroad.com/julien-leather-bar-stool/indoor-furniture/bar-stools/374607?defattrib=&defattribvalue=&listIndex=2

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
live_wire_oak

Counter height is 36" for which 24" stools are appropriate. Bar height is 42", and that is where you use the 30" stools.

Bookmark   March 10, 2013 at 1:03PM
sas95

Bar stools would be way too high.

Bookmark   March 10, 2013 at 1:16PM
breezygirl

Counter height. Don't ask me how I know that barstools really only work for a 3-y.o. to sit comfortably. That was a mistake I lived with for years.

Counter height stools do vary a bit in height. If you think 24" is too short for you, keep looking.

Bookmark   March 10, 2013 at 1:19PM
ellaf

You could look at height adjustable stools, like these from all modern.com http://www.allmodern.com/Adjustable-Height-Stools-C1768241.html or these from Restoration Hardware - http://www.restorationhardware.com/catalog/product/product.jsp?productId=prod690094&categoryId=cat280014

Here is a link that might be useful: Restoration Hardware adjustable stool

Bookmark   March 10, 2013 at 1:59PM
kellienoelle

Thank you thank you! I went ahead and ordered the 24" so hopefully they will work.

Thanks for the link to the RH stools, they are AWESOME! But like so many awesome things, they are more than we wanted to spend!

Bookmark   March 10, 2013 at 9:29PM
Jolivia2

Having the same issue - island is 36" high, 24" stools seem low and 30" will leave everyone with squished thighs! Anyone find any reasonable, backless stools in a traditional style that fall somewhere in between?

Bookmark   March 15, 2013 at 5:41PM
More Discussions
The perfect pad for a kitchen runner!!
I use a 12' long runner in my kitchen. It is an old...
bellsmom
School me on galley kitchen layout!
So I've tried to start learning from the experts here...
red_argyle
Induction cooktop > no slow cooker?
Can the low settings, timer and a good pot replace...
anniel58
Please help me with my layout options. Again.
Hello! Several months ago I posted to get layout advice...
ainelane
Kitchen layout, updated
Revised layout:
edwardshome
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™