Building over well water supply pipe

bluebirdnutJuly 12, 2013

I have a question regarding building a detached garage over an existing well water supply line. Our town's zoning regulations regarding setbacks, etc. are such that about the only place we can practically place a new detached garage is on top of the area where the well water supply pipe is currently running. Does anyone know whether it is even permissible to do so in NY State, and if so, how we can find out exactly where and how deep the water supply line is?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bus_driver

Given the restrictions that you described, I would be inclined to decide if an alternate route for the pipe is available if the garage should be built and the pipe should fail at some point thereafter. Will adequate access to the well itself be available?
If the answers are yes, I would just not mention the pipe at all-- and build the garage. It is unlikely that any official record exists of the location of the pipe and even if it does, it is unlikely that any official will bother to look for it.

Bookmark   July 13, 2013 at 1:50PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Sophie Wheeler

Murphy WILL strike. Reroute the pipe before building the garage. Or, you may have some weeks of downtime during a blizzard or 100 degree heat while that gets done. All with you not having water during that time. Better to address the new route while the old one is still serviceable in place. That way, you're only without water for the small time it takes to switch it over to the new line.

Bookmark   July 14, 2013 at 11:43AM
More Discussions
Waste pipe uneven elbow leak
The gaskets are removed to show the situation in the...
rubyhum
Rainfresh water filter leaks from top.
I have a Rainfresh water filter. It seems to be leaking...
gtrshop
toilet flapper closes too fast
a 5 y.o. AS 4396 w/Fluidmaster guts. The flapper is...
fritzgarden
Pulldown sprayer leaking
My Moen pulldown faucet (with Reflex Technology!) was...
ginny20
LaToscana Novello Thermostatic Shower Valve
Trouble with LaToscana Novello Shower Valve- no hot...
bathroomblues1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™