tapping/knocking sound only in warm weather?

sovraJuly 9, 2012

All last summer and now this year, too, I have had a problem with an intermittent tapping/knocking sound in my house. The sound only occurs in warmer weather, but it occurs day and night. Last year I thought that it might be animal-related (like a woodpecker of some sort), but the animal/bug control company I called last year saw no signs of damage and said that the day/night pattern ruled out birds. I now think it must be plumbing-related because I can feel a couple of the water pipes in the basement vibrating when the sound is happening.

Can anyone suggest what I ask my plumber to look for when dealing with it? The sound is intermittent so I can't count on it happening when he's here. Plus my usual plumber is somewhat hard of hearing. I'd like him to do the work if possible, but I'm not sure he can hear the problem.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
homebound

Seems like a vibrating pipe at a point where it is strapped or clamped to the house framing. You should try to isolate the sound location a bit more. (In the winter, this typically happens when hot water suddenly goes through a cool pipe and the pipe expands rapidly.)

Next time the sound happens, hold one of those vibrating pipes firmly and see if goes away, etc. then proceed from there to locate the pipe strap/clamp in question. Also, just securing the vibrating pipe where you can access it might help.

Bookmark   July 10, 2012 at 7:52AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sovra

Thanks, Homebound! Will do!

Bookmark   July 10, 2012 at 2:17PM
More Discussions
Hot water backflowing into cold supply
OK, I'm rephrasing my question, as what I'd asked before...
pjb999
Terminox ISM for iron/manganese removal
Hi, I have had a water softener with other assorted...
merlin2552
Fleck 9100 SXT Programming/Settings
I am finally installing my new Fleck 9100 SXT!!! Thanks...
rss1978
Doable...European sink & US bathroom pop-up drain and faucet?
if I purchase a small Belfast sink fron England to...
rantontoo
Details of a new residential water service
I'm in the planning stages of replacement for my 55...
dgeist
Sponsored Products
Black Diamonds Giclee Glow 16" Wide Pendant Light
Lamps Plus
Safavieh Blue/ Beige Geometric Element-Resistant Indoor/ Outdoor Rug (6'7" x 9'6
Overstock.com
Le Corbusier LC2 Style Armchair-Black - 100% Italian Leather
IFN Modern
Mercer Pendant by Marset
$788.00 | Lumens
Lithonia Lighting Wall Mounted Wall-Mount Outdoor Bronze Metal-Halide Wall Pack
$79.97 | Home Depot
Richard Schultz | 1966 Collection® Dining Chair with Arms
YLiving.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™