Expansion tank

coolvtJuly 19, 2011

A plumber recently replaced an electric hot water tank in an apt. builing and put in an expansion tank on the outgoing side of the hot water tank. Said this was required in some states. Has anyone heard of this? I figured with the tank having a blow-off valve that it wouldn't be necessary.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
justalurker

The T&P valve on the WH is not intended to mitigate thermal expansion... it is a safety device.

An expansion tank is required by code in a closed plumbing system to mitigate thermal expansion but it should be installed on the cold supply to the WH not on the hot side.

Make triple sure the expansion tank is installed on the hot side and then call the plumber back to correct his mistake.

You can learn about thermal expansion by clicking here

Bookmark   July 19, 2011 at 9:47AM
coolvt

Guess I learned something new. I will definitley check to see what side it's on.
Thanks, Mark

Bookmark   July 23, 2011 at 10:52PM
Xena99

My plumber also said the expansion tank should be located on the hot water outlet of the WH. While this make sense, since it is the hot water that expands, Justalurker and others have said the tank should be installed at cold water inlet to WH.

Can anyone point me to code(s) or proposed codes(s) to resolve this? I want to have something to show the plumber.

Bookmark   July 28, 2011 at 11:10AM
justalurker

The heated water in the WH expands and that expanded volume is EVERYWHERE in the system and is more easily mitigated on the cold side so the bladder in the expansion tank doesn't have to deal with higher temps than necessary which will lengthen it's service life..

One only needs to look at the installation literature to see the proper place to install the expansion tank.

http://media.wattswater.com/2915054.pdf

Bookmark   July 28, 2011 at 12:35PM
aliceinwonderland_id

YOU don't have to show your plumber anything. Simply insist that he place the expansion tank in the correct location, on the COLD side, unless HE SHOWS YOU code specifying differently. He works for you, not the other way around.

Bookmark   July 28, 2011 at 3:04PM
More Discussions
Kitchen sink faucet lost its water pressure
I did some preventative maintenance this evening by...
yam2006
Marble shower panels valve replacement :( !!!
We have a couple of bathrooms with a single handle...
Vamsi Kodavanty
Central Valley Water Filtration Suggestions
We are stationed in Lemoore, CA 45 minutes south of...
nomar116
Help with smelly well water
Just a little background. We bought a house 3 years...
cmonkey
Terminox ISM for iron/manganese removal
Hi, I have had a water softener with other assorted...
merlin2552
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™