CNG line

olddawgJuly 1, 2012

I just had a 125 gallon tank installed next to the house. The 500 gallon tank had a buried line that I always felt was either leaking or just crushed.

As I dug up the line (halfway so far), I've found 2 patches, 3 kinks and it was back-filled with gravel.

This runs under my gravel driveway.

I'm looking at a new location for the tank and believe I can have 2 of these 125 gallon tanks placed against the garage.

I assume I can have an exposed line run through the garage (not wanting to bury another) to the 'new' location. Plus I could get a line run to the BBQ.

I'm seeing plus's to doing this..

Any negatives I'm not thinking of??

I'll be talking to my Local Inspector this week about this, but thought I'd bounce it off you guys.

You folks always have good input!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lazypup

Because of the characteristics of CNG; you are asking question which simply cannot be answered in a public forum.

Typically the internal pressures of CNG storage vessels will range from 2900 to 3600psi and almost every jurisdiction will have very specific regulations as to how and where the vessels may be located...by example, in my jurisdiction we may have a maximum of one storage vessel on site and it must be located a minimum of 100' from any occupied structure, or it must be put in a open below grade vault that has adequate drainage so no water can collect in the vault. When mounted above grade the vessel must be mounted on a 5" thick concrete slab and there must be 6" diameter steel bollards extending 48" above grade and set in concrete 48" below grade at no more than 36" CTC on all sides of the vessel.

Bookmark   July 2, 2012 at 4:56AM
jakethewonderdog

Just to be clear, we are talking CNG and not propane?

Bookmark   July 2, 2012 at 9:03AM
brickeyee

Propane is only around 100-200 PSI and far easier to plumb than CNG around 3,600 PSI.

It is a VERY different set of rules.

Are you sure you have CNG and not propane (also called Liquefied petroleum gas, LPG, GPL, LP Gas, liquid petroleum gas)?

Bookmark   July 2, 2012 at 11:26AM
olddawg

My mis-statement...
Propane.

Bookmark   July 2, 2012 at 4:00PM
olddawg

Again, my apologies, Propane.

What I have learned is in order to run the supply line through the garage it must be 'low' pressure.
Since my distance from tank to main house connection is 50 plus feet, it's not been recommended.

It looks like I'm back to burying the line..

I've also leaned that there are coated (plastic?) copper lines to help protect them.
Since I raised such a concern about putting it back under my driveway (and saw what happened to the existing line), it was suggested to sleeve the line through PVC piping.

The existing line was only 1 foot down and not back-filled properly. Basically, they just pushed the gravel back over it, thus crushing the line.

My Local Inspector requested I bury 2 feet down (ruling is 18", but I agree with her). Depending on what I hit when I dig, 2' is the minimum depth. And of course, proper back-fill.

Any other thoughts or concerns I may have over looked?

Bookmark   July 8, 2012 at 8:39AM
More Discussions
Does reverse osmosis water corrode copper plumbing? The answer ..
The answer is YES. I did a very unscientific study...
ohmmm_gw
Plumbing Kohler Ceiling Tub Filler K-922
Anyone have experience installing this laminar flow...
Logcabin1
De-winterize, re-winterize...costs?
My 24 yr old son is buying a 1950 home on a short sale...
cindywhitall
Warm water mornings on cold line for 30 secs....
We have been living in a home built in 2011 (in Canada)...
nikolaos2012
New under mount sink - drain off-center?
I had a new granite countertop installed with an under...
mike_lee2
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™