Any tips on fecal sample for cat?

socksOctober 9, 2009

I want to get a fecal sample from the cat to the vet, but how is this done so it has no litter?

He said to put shredded newspaper in her litter box. The one night I did that, she did not use the box. I started mixing litter and shredded paper to accustom her to the paper, but what a mess. I guess I'll transition to all paper and see if that works.

Any other ideas? Can they extract a sample at the vet? Must hurt? I don't want her hurt.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
glaserberl

I always just pick a "sample out of the box". Our vet has never asked for a litter free one. I'm sure they can piece from it without litter.
Katharina

Bookmark   October 9, 2009 at 1:07PM
oregpsnow

My vet - a cat-only vet who is very picky - said it was fine to have litter on the poop. It just should be fresh - take it in as soon as possible. Cats that eat good canned food may not poop very much in a day, but collect as much as you can.

Bookmark   October 9, 2009 at 6:14PM
socks

Our old vet never minded if there was litter, but this one seems to mind. I'll keep trying, somehow.

Bookmark   October 9, 2009 at 8:03PM
michelle_phxaz

I don't know why your vet needs one "litter-free", all that is needed is a small portion which they can cut from the middle where there is no litter. Don't spend your weekend following your cat's butt! :-)

Bookmark   October 9, 2009 at 11:01PM
More Discussions
cat with renal failure
My 17 yo cat has renal failure and has developed abdominal...
dlana
automatic Litter boxes.......
I'm trying to connect with other users of the Cat Genie,,,,,so...
dfdureiko
Can I help a wild rabbit in my yard?
I live in Western NY state and I was shocked to see...
rochesterroseman
Cat much less active than a few months ago
Hi, I was wondering if anyone has experienced what...
chi83
Excellent Animal Hospital in New England?
We are happy with our vet (actually vets, she has a...
sue36
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™