Water Softener Sizing Help
I was wondering if I could get help with sizing a water softener. Recently, the last yr we had an old timer based softener quit on us, I had a local Kinetico dealer come out and test our water, they suggested the model 2060 for our needs. I was thinking of installing a Fleck based softener, but wanted a second option on what size I would need.
- Family of 5 (2 adults, 3 kids: 5yr, 3yr, 2yr old)
- Small house 1000 sqft, 3 bedrooms, currently remodeling basement which will add a second kitchen sink to make total sqft of 1500.
- Two washing machines (2nd used for washing hunting clothing in the fall)
- 2 baths (1 standing shower, 1 standard tube), nothing fancy just one shower head in each bath
- No jacuzzies, hot tubes, or any additional large water uses.
- I have city water
- 3/4 inch copper water inlet
- Hardness=29 GPG
- Dissolved Solids: 611 PPM
- Chlorine=None Detected
Using a calculation of 60 GPD per person.
5 people x 60 gallons/day x 29 grains hardness = 8700 grains per day x 7days = 60900 Total Grains of Capacity
What I'm having trouble is trying to determine the softener size in cu ft based on the idea of 6 lbs/cu ft. I think it would make it a 3.0 or 3.5 cu ft softener? Based on that size I would need a Fleck 7000SXT if I'm not mistaken. Also with 2 adults and 3 children, I wonder if factoring in 5 people for 60 gallons/day might be overkill until they grow older.
Any help would be appreciated.