Leak at meter on the house side.

tony41June 21, 2012

Parents discovered a water leak at their underground meter. They live one hour from me home.

The pvc female adapter cracked (after 30 years)where it screwed onto the male copper stubout from the meter.

Besides a slip coupling does anyone have any tricks for making a repair where it is difficult to reattach the two ends?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Code now prohibits female threaded PVC fittings.

The correct solution would be to dig down to where the line exits the meter box.

Attach a brass coupling to the meter stubout, then use a PVC male adapter to connect the PVC.

Run a short stub of PVC through the meter box wall and connect to the water line with a repair coupling. (A repair coupling has no internal stop so you can slide on one line, the cut and align both lines together and slide the coupling back over the joint.

Be sure to use Pipe dope on all the threads.

    Bookmark   June 21, 2012 at 10:49PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Must admit I'm a novice plumber never saw a repair coupling before. From your description it will work great!

    Bookmark   June 21, 2012 at 11:00PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I went searching today for a 3/4" repair coupling(No Stop) Lowes nor the local plumbing supply company had any.

    Bookmark   June 22, 2012 at 1:42PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

They may be called just a coupling without a stop.

The "repair" part may be throwing the distributors off.

Lowes is not surprising, but a real supply house should have no-stop couplings.

If you are really pushed you can remove the stop in a regular coupling.

    Bookmark   June 23, 2012 at 11:42AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Just to makesure that I had given you the correct nomenclature I checked the "Charlotte Pipe Company" catalog. (Charlotte Pipe is one of the worlds leading producers of plastic pipe),

The repair couplings are made in sizes 1/2" through 2" and they are listed as

"size" REPEAR COUPLING (no stop) (slip x slip)

Now I will agree with Brickeye, some retailers may be simply listing them as "No Stop Couplings" or Perhaps "Couplings-no stop"

Now I will give you a tip when searching for any difficult to find fitting, whether its plumbing, electrical or any other trade for that matter...Do not put much faith in the Big Box home supplies such as Lowes or HD. Those stores tend to have huge isles and what looks like a large inventory, but they are totally profit motivated. They have a large inventory of the fast turnover items, but most of them have a rather limited number of line items on their inventories.

From my experience you will have a much better chance of finding what you want at a full service Hardware store such as ACE Hardware or True Value Hardware. In addition, when you go to a hardware store you will generally be served by a person who actually knows what their inventory is used for.

Now I realize that both lowes and HD advertise that the hire trade professionals, but the question is, how much real experience do those "trade professionals" have. For the most part they are ppl who washed out of an apprenticeship or simply worked as a helper for a short time under a tradesman.

Then to make matters worse, generally when they do hire a trade professional they do not assign them to work in their area of expertise. By example, at the HD about a mile from here they have two certified plumbers, one is working in the office and the other one works in the lumber dept and their electrician is working in the carpet and flooring dept, and sometimes in the paint dept. Two of the guys in the plumbing dept are unemployed auto mechanics who are working their temporarily until the economy picks up and they can get back to their trade.

    Bookmark   June 23, 2012 at 3:36PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Appreciate the knowledgable feedback!
I toyed around with the idea of removing the stop from a regular coupling. Assuming a Dremel tool would suffice.
When I mentioned this at the afternoon coffee group several there thought the ID of a plain coupling has a tiny difference from outside edge to middle thereby preventing sliding it past enough to reconnect the pipes.

    Bookmark   June 23, 2012 at 3:54PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Can we bypass old hot water heater?
Any reason we can't bypass and then remove this old...
Grohe Ladylux Cafe Touch Faucet
Does anyone have this faucet, and if so, do you like...
38 ga. tank - not getting 2 hot showers?
We have just finished a renovation project that included...
Culligan vs. Kinetico for very hard water
We just moved into a 3 year old house. The previous...
shower problem....can someone give me a clue?
My hot water plumbing JUST started acting "wonky."...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™