Bathtub p trap size

gildomiloJune 21, 2010

Can you install a 1 1/4" p trap on a bath tub? It would tie directly into a 1 1/2" drain pipe. There's not too much room in the 7" joist bay to tie in a 1 1/2" trap, and be able to take it out if there's a problem.

Thanks,

Gil

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lazypup

Code requires an 1-1/2 trap on a tub. You may increase to 2" but you may not reduce below 1-1/2".

Bookmark   June 23, 2010 at 4:47PM
davidro1

gildomilo, are you using copper pipe? If not, are you aware that its outside diameter is smaller than the other kinds of pipe. Also, are you aware of Street elbows? They take less space than regular elbows. There is more to share. Post again, describing why 7" is not enough. I hope you can fit a 1.5" trap in there.

Bookmark   June 23, 2010 at 5:58PM
gildomilo

I fit the 1 1/2 in, the drainage and overflow had to be cocked a little to the side in order to fit. The problem is where the shower vent line had to go and the framing in the bathroom. It's in, now I just need to seal up the waste and overflow.

Bookmark   June 25, 2010 at 9:06PM
lazypup

I am curious as to how you connected the shower vent?

Bookmark   June 25, 2010 at 10:43PM
gildomilo

Just down stream from the trap, maybe 2" is a sanitary tee the vent comes off of that and goes up, the rest of the drain continues along the path to the stack. The tub is only 30" wide, and the framing is very tight. In looking at the framing I probably could have pulled on of the 2X's out and gotten enough room for the drain to go straight. I might do that today, but I hate to as I have the tub and everything else set.

Bookmark   June 26, 2010 at 8:00AM
gildomilo

I decided to fix it the proper way and take the old framing member out. So much for the bath I took yesterday :)

Bookmark   June 26, 2010 at 8:41AM
More Discussions
corrosion seen on hot water shutoff valves
I was repairing a minor leak in the kitchen faucet...
jastrong5
the dreaded frozen pipes...
Hello all, I hope someone out there can help me. I...
kineala
Warm water mornings on cold line for 30 secs....
We have been living in a home built in 2011 (in Canada)...
nikolaos2012
Cold Water TOO COLD! What to do?
I know there is a lot of concern over regulating hot...
mrb6228
Water pressue and other plumbing issues (MULTIPLE ISSUES - LONG)
I have a couple plumbing issues in my house. Some background... Approximately...
gtrshop
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™