sealing unused drain

kevin1727June 3, 2008

Due to relocating the shower and tub in my bathroom remodel, there is now an unused shower drain under the center of my jacuzzi tub. This is a concrete slab floor with PVC pipe drains.

What is the best way to seal off that drain? The plumber said to just fill it with sand. He said the trap will prevent the sand from moving down the line.

I am thinking something more air and water tight just in case of sewer gas or water backup.

Should he find a PVC plug and glue in or is it okay to dump concrete into the drain? I think the plumber wants to use sand because the plug may stick up and interfere with the mortar bed under the tub.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
zl700

They sell expandable rubber plugs. Old timers will call them "dollar plugs" sometimes today called "test plugs"

Concrete is OK as long as you dont plan on using the drain ever again and that you dont use to much and plug line further down. Ball up some newspaper first.

Bookmark   June 4, 2008 at 10:55AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
serviceplumberman

They make floor flush cleanout plugs as well. I cant recall the name of them. But they have an allen head screw in the top that swells the rubber on the bottom side that you install in the drain for an air tight seal... Sand down the line is a bad idea.

Bookmark   June 27, 2008 at 12:22AM
More Discussions
38 ga. tank - not getting 2 hot showers?
We have just finished a renovation project that included...
ashebrook
De-winterize, re-winterize...costs?
My 24 yr old son is buying a 1950 home on a short sale...
cindywhitall
Sewer line disaster
originally posted on another website, but in the spirit...
bossyvossy
Hardness and sediment and softeners (oh my)!
Hello- Long time reader, first time poster. I'm hoping...
Chris
Septic tank and question on the "Sponge"
I have a septic tank that when last pumped out had...
big_al_41
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™