Point of Use Faucet - Can 'Hot' Faucet be used 'Cold'

gordonrJune 1, 2011

We have a dual chamber 10" slimline under-sink filtration system (non-RO) which needs a new point of use faucet. The faucet which would work best for us is a Franke LB1100. The faucet is listed by Franke as a "hot water only" unit. When I asked Franke, they said the water connection is a standard 1/4" push fitting.

Of course Franke would like to sell you their instant hot water heater, but other than that, why couldn't you use this for a cold water non-RO filtered supply? I'd guess there might be some issue with RO treated water due to its aggressive nature. Also, since it's not RO, the lack of an air gap shouldn't be an issue.

I'd like to make this work as a similar faucet in a "cold" version isn't available. Any advice on why a manufacturer would list such a faucet as "hot only" and whether it should work in our situation would be appreciated.

Here is a link that might be useful: Franke website listing of the faucet

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
homebound

I don't think it's meant to imply that it cannot be used with cold water instead. "Hot water only" just means there's one supply, which happens to be from the hot water heating tank it's paired with.

Bookmark   June 2, 2011 at 10:22AM
davidro1

Call Franke and ask.

It does seem strange that Franke doesn't have little dispenser taps for filtered tap water. I think they used to sell a water filter (or they still do), so they must have taps for this.

I agree that a tap labeled as "hot water only" can pass lower temperature water too. My guess is that the marketing people are out of control.

I'm eager to know what the differences are between all the Franke models that look the same.
3100 4100 1030 and 1100

Here are some that have two handles (you get either hot or cold, from the same spout).
LB22
LB32
LB42

--

Are you aware of the advantages of IHW?

Bookmark   June 2, 2011 at 12:17PM
gordonr

Spoke with Franke tech support. It should work fine with cold water. Part of what makes it designated a hot faucets is that the fill lever is spring loaded so it shuts off when you release it. Franke point of use cold faucets have standard valves.

There are also regulations for cold point of use faucets sold into California in Vermont requiring no leads designs. They thought those regulations may be going nationwide in a couple of years.

Bookmark   June 2, 2011 at 5:18PM
More Discussions
the dreaded frozen pipes...
Hello all, I hope someone out there can help me. I...
kineala
New under mount sink - drain off-center?
I had a new granite countertop installed with an under...
mike_lee2
Am I the only one bothered by this?
Since Houzz took over, these forums have become a spam-infested...
aliceinwonderland_id
Waste pipe uneven elbow leak
The gaskets are removed to show the situation in the...
rubyhum
corrosion seen on hot water shutoff valves
I was repairing a minor leak in the kitchen faucet...
jastrong5
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™