Which pipes for new home build?

toddaoJune 24, 2010

We're building a new home in Atlanta that will be on municipal water. The house will be about 4000 SF with a full basement and two levels above. We're trying to decide between copper, PEX and CPVC. I've been reading about the differences and I'm leaning toward PEX with homeruns and manifold. But I understand that you can't use a recirculating pump for instant hot water with PEX. I'm not sure how necesary this will be, but I'd love to not have to waste so much water waiting for hot water. Is this less of an issue with PEX, or if not, are there any solutions? Appreciate any feedback.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dan_martyn

I have PEX in my home and Love it. The water heater is situated just below the master bedroom so in the morning I never have to wait for HW. I do have to wait at the kitchen sink which is about 30 feet away and it is only a problem when using the dishwasher. I let the water run in the sink for about 20 secs til I get HW at the sink, this way the dishwasher gets HW right away. PEX is naturally insulating, but if the water sits 24hrs between usage, it will obviously be cold.

So why can't you use a recirc pump with a PEX system? If you run a separate recirc line, why not?

Take Care,

Dan

Bookmark   June 25, 2010 at 1:42PM
toddao

Thanks for the info Dan. In terms of not being able to use a recirc pump with PEX, I see now that my builder or his plumber were not well informed. I suspect that you can, and I will research it further.

Bookmark   June 26, 2010 at 5:00PM
jakethewonderdog

The problem with the recirc pump isn't with PEX, it's with the home run to a manifold design. You can use PEX with a branch design system also - which will work with a circ pump.

Design your plumbing so that you aren't wasting water or energy. Avoid long hot water runs, insulate all hot water pipes and consider a small, point of use heater in series with the main heater for those runs that are long and isolated - such as a kitchen or a master bath. A circ pump that is on for a minimal amount of time can save water- but be sure that all of the lines, including the return line, is insulated.

Bookmark   June 27, 2010 at 4:13PM
tima9209

I don't think anyone would say PEX is "naturally insulating" if their main water line was 30' of PEX over an uninsulated garage and they lived in So. Louisiana. It's common in new construction, and I can't believe it isn't a code violation. Sleeving it with those little foam tubes is futile. The only thing that gives some relief is to roll R30 batts above and below it. That really does improve on the 30 sec of 120F water that otherwise comes out of the cold water line on hot summer days when you don't use the faucet every 20 minutes or so...

Bookmark   June 28, 2010 at 2:45AM
More Discussions
Am I the only one bothered by this?
Since Houzz took over, these forums have become a spam-infested...
aliceinwonderland_id
Inspection Hell (or why not to DIY)
Hi everyone, First time poster but long time lurker....
giantsean
Water Softener - calling justalurker
Hopefully you are still around. I had reached out a...
toddimt
Grohe Ladylux Cafe Touch Faucet
Does anyone have this faucet, and if so, do you like...
sharon_va
Warm water mornings on cold line for 30 secs....
We have been living in a home built in 2011 (in Canada)...
nikolaos2012
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™