Shut off valve on 1/2' supply line to toilet

nayr1223June 7, 2011

Kind of confused and need some explanation. Had to remove the toilet cause we are getting new linoleum installed in bathroom. My supply valve had seized up so I was going to replace it. I shut the main water supply off in the house. I turned all of the faucets on and also the showers. The toilets are the lowest point of water coming up threw the floor to the house. When I drained everything and went to cut the CPVC line there was still a little bit of water that tried to seep out. It wasn't spraying or gushing just trickling out the cut end. I got the new end on without much mess but was curious if it was leftover pressure in the line from a higher water source in house.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
weedmeister

There will always be a bit left in the pipes. Since it was the lowest point and you had the faucets open, it drained out.

Bookmark   June 7, 2011 at 7:56PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
asolo

"...just trickling out...."

There's your clue. That isn't "pressure" other than gravity acting on what remains in the pipes. Weedmeister is correct. Annoying because it seems to go on forever.

When you replace those valves, use 1/4-turn ball-valves. If you use the el-cheapos you just removed you're going round again with frozen valves when you most need to be able to close them. The ball valves cost more but so little more there really isn't any excuse not to buck up and do it right.

Bookmark   June 7, 2011 at 8:23PM
More Discussions
shower problem....can someone give me a clue?
My hot water plumbing JUST started acting "wonky."...
bevangel_i_h8_h0uzz
troubleshooting thermostatic valve for shower
troubleshooting thermostatic valve, no hot water and...
bathroomblues1
38 ga. tank - not getting 2 hot showers?
We have just finished a renovation project that included...
ashebrook
Warm water mornings on cold line for 30 secs....
We have been living in a home built in 2011 (in Canada)...
nikolaos2012
Septic tank and question on the "Sponge"
I have a septic tank that when last pumped out had...
big_al_41
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™