$1,000 valve - you've got to be kidding? help...

mamadadapaigeJune 2, 2011

We had an outdoor shower put in a couple of years ago - it turns out the person who did this wasn't the most qualified. We live in the Northeast - cold winters! We shut the water off at the end of the season but didn't realize we were suppose to remove the whole shower system from the outside since it really wasn't meant to be outside in the first place.

Long story short, it is broken. We are selling the house and I feel from a "good karma" perspective that we should get this up and running for the new owners (whose inspector did not catch the broken shower situation but nonetheless I feel it is important to fix it).

The plumbing showroom locally is quoting me $1,014 just for the valve! which is apparently the only non-functioning part. They say it is just the "guts" that is broken, not the trim or showerhead, etc. How can the "guts" cost this much.

They are checking to see if a generic part can be used in place of the cifial part but she thinks not.

Below is a link to what we have and here is a list of the items in the Cifial Exposed Thermostatic Shower Kit.

Does this make sense? does anyone have any knowledge to help me get this done for less money? I just am floored at what I thought would be a simple fix costing so much.

Exposed Thermostatic Shower Kit w/8" Showerhead

Exposed Thermostatic Shower Kit w/8" Showerhead

Brunswick Series

With Handshower

1/2" Hi-Flow Thermostatic Valve - 12 gpm @ 60 psi

Brass lever volume handle

Brass cross temperature handle

42" riser, 8" diameter showerhead - projects 17" from wall

Here is a link that might be useful: Cifial Shower kit

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
randy427

I'd replace the faucet unit with one that was designed for outdoor showers, pool houses, etc, (Chicago Faucets make a good one) that doesn't have the Thermostatic Balance feature. Overtemp Safety devices that screw on at the shower head are made to prevent scalding water accidents.
Also, install low-point drains in the supply lines so the water can be drained in cold months.

Bookmark   June 2, 2011 at 3:43PM
mamadadapaige

randy, this is such welcome advice. thank you so much. does this look like a good one? (link below)

Here is a link that might be useful: chicago outdoor faucet

Bookmark   June 2, 2011 at 3:55PM
PRO
Sophie Wheeler

I wouldn't even bother with one intended for outdoor use. Use a plain shower setup that you buy at a big box and install an interior shutoff with a bleeder valve, and an exterior bleeder valve, and rhen use compressed air to blow the line free of water when the season's change and make sure that the new owners are aware of how to care for it.

Bookmark   June 2, 2011 at 9:01PM
randy427

They are good. I've installed several of them.
Chicago also makes a less expensive model with the valve body being a rough casting, instead of smooth and polished.

Bookmark   June 2, 2011 at 9:38PM
More Discussions
Culligan HE vs Kinetico Premier vs Fleck
Hi, After doing some research regarding the above water...
blessedmomof4
Good shower heads for low water pressure
Hi, We are living in an area with low water pressure....
lynne_melb
Toilet swirls, but won't flush!!
Very frustrated. The toilet seems to be ok, it gets...
edweather
38 ga. tank - not getting 2 hot showers?
We have just finished a renovation project that included...
ashebrook
Waste pipe uneven elbow leak
The gaskets are removed to show the situation in the...
rubyhum
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™