Plumbing for 2 shower heads

captncarsJune 9, 2014

We are building a house and added a rain shower head in the master bath. Per my request, In our contract it states it will be a delta thermostatic valve with a 3/6 diverter. I thought it would be easier to control the water temp with one valve and then use the diverter to decide witch showers to run.

Our plumber was there yesterday and plumbed two thermo valves (one for each shower) they said they would change it but I was just wondering if there is pros to having it this way? Seems like a lot of extra work to run water lines to each valve when all he had to do is put a diverter valve above

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
snoonyb

And should you want to use both heads simultaneously, you fall victim of the 2.5GPM flow restriction built into the valve, and the two valve set-up will afford sufficient volume, from each.

Bookmark   June 9, 2014 at 5:31PM
captncars

I just talked to the builder and he said the plumber did it that way because the pressure will be half if you use both shower heads with the diverter. Is that true?
Looking at pictures on houzz and on here I see almost all double shower heads run with one valve and a diverter.

Bookmark   June 9, 2014 at 6:12PM
snoonyb

What do you think meant when I said?

"And should you want to use both heads simultaneously, you fall victim of the 2.5GPM flow restriction built into the valve, and the two valve set-up will afford sufficient volume, from each."

Bookmark   June 9, 2014 at 11:32PM
captncars

It makes sense to me... I was just wondering why people plumb it with diverters if there is such a great difference in the pressure?

Bookmark   June 10, 2014 at 2:22AM
snoonyb

There is only a reduction in the pressure when both heads are operating, at the same time, from a single valve.

You could have 10M lbs. of pressure on the supply side of the valve.

The valve restricts the flow to a max. of 2.5gpm, divide that volume in half, and thats all you get using a single valve.

Bookmark   June 10, 2014 at 10:10PM
More Discussions
Quality of what general contactor is providing
I don't feel qualified to inspect my new home currently...
Larry Lotter
Help, water filter?
I recently bought a rural home, and have yet to move...
dmnwlkr
Salt-free water conditioning
Hi all, Considering installing a water softener in...
tucker_troy
fleck fusion high flow metered water softener
Our Culligan has died and we aint too heartbroken about...
vossner
Kitchen sink faucet lost its water pressure
I did some preventative maintenance this evening by...
yam2006
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™