sloan valve WC - do i need to replace?

detcastleJune 27, 2010

My DH and I have just purchased a 1929 home and as part of our immediate renos have gutted the kitchen. As part of that we need to move some of the pipes that lead up to 2nd and 3rd floor bathrooms. The plumber (who comes highly recommended) says that he has to replace out the old pipes (which are larger diameter than ones used today) which means we have to replace the two sloan valve toilets. Is that a lot of hooey? I am actually willing to do it for eco purposes as I know that these are high water usage, but would like to feel confident about the real reasoning. He's already proposed some other 'fixes' that don't seem necessary so I'm a little concerned. Thanks for any advice you might have.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lazypup

If your Sloan Valves are true Flushometer valves your Plumber is absolutely correct.

W.C. flushometer valves require a 1" supply and urinal flushometer valves require a 3/4" supply with a minimum of 15psi dynamic pressure while a conventional tank type W.C. only requires a 3/8" supply line with a minimum of 8psi dynamic pressure.

If your intent is to conserve water you could replace the existing flushometer valves with water saver type flushometer valves but the supply line size would still remain the same. On the other hand, if you want to reduce the line size you would have to convert to tank type W.C.'s.

Bookmark   June 28, 2010 at 4:24AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
detcastle

great thanks very much for the info!

Bookmark   June 28, 2010 at 10:39AM
More Discussions
Can we bypass old hot water heater?
Any reason we can't bypass and then remove this old...
shellking
troubleshooting thermostatic valve for shower
troubleshooting thermostatic valve, no hot water and...
bathroomblues1
LaToscana Novello Thermostatic Shower Valve
Trouble with LaToscana Novello Shower Valve- no hot...
bathroomblues1
Cold Water TOO COLD! What to do?
I know there is a lot of concern over regulating hot...
mrb6228
Fire Sprinkler
Purchasing a home with an indoor fire sprinkler system....
jglo
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™