decrease pressure

leprichonJune 6, 2010

I have a unit that requires a lower pressure (psi) than I have (where I want to put the unit-in the basement) short...I want a list of the products that I would need (assuming what I want to do is possible), (so I dont look like a !@#$ when I go to buy them)...and if possible Id love to put in a guage near the output to show the pressure going into the unit...Id love approx prices for the pieces I would need...(also would there be a prob If I just stepped down the size of the pipe)???

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo


    Bookmark   June 6, 2010 at 1:53PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

the unit (if it makes a diff) is an RO filter...I believe it requires about 45psi and at the location (near where the water enters the house - before many smaller pipes and the flow is decreased) I currently have a flow rate that seems to be much higher.?..I want to lower it so that I can use this filter...

    Bookmark   June 7, 2010 at 9:58AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Flow rate and water system pressure are two entirely different things.

I'll assume you're on a municipal water system... what is the static water pressure in the house water system now?

Is this RO a small POU 4 or 5 stage or a whole house RO?

    Bookmark   June 7, 2010 at 10:10AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Hi justalurker (or other),
ok...I understand now that flow rate and system pressure are two diff things...Ive read that "static pressure can be measured using an aneroid, Bourdon tube, or a mercury column", but I dont have any of these. Can I determine my homes static pressure in another way?...I am on a municiapal water system (in NT NY if that helps)...the RO unit is prob rather small (meant for a large fish tank and not a whole house)...

    Bookmark   June 9, 2010 at 1:02PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

you can buy a pressure guage from HD or Lowes. It connects to a hose bib.

    Bookmark   June 9, 2010 at 1:12PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

You are making a far bigger project out of this than it needs to be...

As I understand it you will install a POU RO (same as an undersink unit) to supply a fish tank.

IF, you choose the unit wisely it will operate with no problem with supply water pressure from 40 psi up to 100 psi.

If you want to learn about ROs L@@K here

You can check your plumbing system's static water pressure with,,, an INEXPENSIVE pressure gauge that screws onto a hose bib. They are available at almost every big box store.

    Bookmark   June 9, 2010 at 1:15PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Plumbing Kohler Ceiling Tub Filler K-922
Anyone have experience installing this laminar flow...
Hard Water or What?
We are renting an older duplex home in CT, and the...
Cold Water TOO COLD! What to do?
I know there is a lot of concern over regulating hot...
Garden Hose iced over
Ok, I know I was stupid. I'm new to home ownership...
Help with smelly well water
Just a little background. We bought a house 3 years...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™