Range hood over uneven stone backsplash

JStephens11March 13, 2013

I'm installing a ledgestone back-splash behind my range. I will be applying multiple coats of stone sealer to help protect against grease splatter. Attached is a picture showing the portion of the back-splash I've already installed and the range hood I'll be installing over the range.

The problem I'm having is that the ledgestone has random thicknesses with a tolerance of approximately +/-3/16". When I install the range hood on the ledgestone I want it to sit flush, or at least even on the back-splash.

I would like to install the back-splash before the range hood, in case the hood ever breaks. I do not want to search for a replacement that fits in the exact location. There is also a tempered glass top on the hood, so that would be a nightmare to try to install the back-splash around.

One idea I've considered is attaching strapping to the wall behind the chimney and fan section of the range hood to bump that out 1/2" (approx. thickness of back-splash). Then the range hood would float over the back-splash.

Or I could just install the range hood and then the back-splash around the hood, but like I said above that would be a pain.

Does anyone have any experience doing this or other recommendations for how I should go about installing my back-splash / range hood?

Thanks in advance!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
live_wire_oak

Range hood first, then tile up to it would be the easiest. It's what I'm doing with a full height granite backsplash It's "lipping" over the insert just slightly.

Bookmark   March 13, 2013 at 2:30PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
JStephens11

Hi Live Wire,

I've been told by multiple sources that you should do the backsplash and then the hood. I'm not really looking for the easiest solution, I'm looking for the best solution. Thank you for the response though.

Any other recommendations?

Bookmark   March 13, 2013 at 4:32PM
More Discussions
Tell me the truth about your white painted cabinets
I'm wanting to go shaker style white. I've done a past...
happyallison
Week 44: Spring, spring, SPring, SPRING dreams!
I am having spring fever. I can't wait until it's...
CEFreeman_GW
What does this tile say to you?
I am still in the planning stages of a small, U-shaped...
kelleg69
White countertops or white cabinets?
My DS/DIL is planning a new kitchen and wants either...
mayberry_moon
Need help with peninsula overhang
HELP! I'm very concerned about the way my 2cm granite...
mcmummy
Sponsored Products
Satin Nickel Three-Light Bath Light with Faux Alabaster Glass
$79.90 | Bellacor
Gray Abstract Graphic Illusions Rug
$39.99 | zulily
Elk Lighting Sedona 2 Light Outdoor Post Light in Clay Bronze
Beyond Stores
Task Wall Light - Cream - Original BTC
$495.00 | HORNE
Madeli Bolano 36" Bathroom Vanity - Glossy White
Modern Bathroom