Too old?

goldySeptember 6, 2010

I'm moveing in with my grandaughter and husband ,They brought a tenroom house with a "grandmother suit"I'll be home all day while they are working to pay for the "castle"I'll be lonely because I used to live in a senior apartment and there was always someone to talk to.I had to give up my dog ten years ago and I want to try again.Am I too old?I'm in pretty good health but just "old"eighty years to be truthful.The dog will outlive me but they said they would take up were I leave off.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
annzgw

I see no reason why you shouldn't have a pet. My mother, at 91 yrs, just recently lost her cat and I think she's considering getting another one.

I would suggest you contact rescue groups that foster pets and look at adopting a teen-age dog. That way you'll know the personality, it should already have some basics in house training, and you won't have to deal with the puppy stage.

Are you still driving on your own? I ask because it sounds as though you miss being around your friends and wonder if you're able to take part in some community functions.

Bookmark   September 6, 2010 at 11:19PM
calliope

My mother got her precious little Daisy at our local shelter and it was a match made in heaven for both of them. Mama was seventy eight then and Daisy was in fact a 'teenager', just like Annz suggested. Mama lived to be ninety one, and little Daisy died just months after my mother passed away, by then an old dog. For all practical purposes, she spent her lifetime as a companion for my elderly mother. I give thanks their paths crossed, because who doesn't need a constant companion who is faithful, loving and fun?

You have very much to offer to a dog, and if it will enrich your life, and some dear dog somewhere needs a home with someone who has a lot of time to spoil them.......especially since your grandchildren support this..........why not? I think its a wonderful idea.

Purina has a Pets for Seniors program and they even will contribute to participating shelters money towards spay and neutering. I became familiar with the program when they offered it to Mama, and in fact although I am substantially younger than you, I qualified for it when I adopted our new doggie last spring. Good luck.

Bookmark   September 6, 2010 at 11:51PM
lily316

Well, Goldy, I say go for it. A dog will greatly enrich your life and be your loving companion. I'd look into a mature dog , not a puppy and I'm sure it will all work out. It's a known fact that people of all ages benefit from an animal companionship. Lowers blood pressure and gives the person a reason for getting up every day.

Bookmark   September 7, 2010 at 1:26AM
christine1950

I agree with the others, your never to old to have a new companion to love.

Bookmark   September 7, 2010 at 8:23AM
goldy

Yes I still drive,walk.ride my bike and do a little sewing.But these things you do by yourself.There are few people my age wanting to tagg along.In a house this big I want to have company besides the tv and the icemaker makeing noise.So I'm going to take your advice and start puppy shoping.I still would like a puppy.I really enjoyed the "housebreaking"it gets me closer to the pup.I might add that I'm relocating from NJ to Delaware and I know no one here.

Bookmark   September 7, 2010 at 11:19AM
christine1950

Good Luck in your new home and best wishes finding just the right pup :>)
Christine

Bookmark   September 7, 2010 at 5:31PM
sylviatexas1

I would definitely get me a pupper!

can't imagine life without doggie love.

Bookmark   September 7, 2010 at 5:57PM
More Discussions
Cat with awful breath
I adopted a cat a few months back, she's 7 years old....
Else
dry food for cats that can't eat dry food ;)
Howdy all, There seems to be a lot of experience here...
GWgal
cat needs ultrasound/has fluid
13 yr old indoor cat has had blood tests, xrays and...
jones60
My cat has an unknown illness! Help!!!!
Hi There I have a 14 and a half year old male cat Sylvester...
rachelmfi
skunky zoo smell on my cats
We brought our 5 outdoor cats with us when we moved...
ryseryse_2004
Sponsored Products
Signature Design by Ashley Zanbury Merlot Bed
Overstock.com
Modern Indoor/Outdoor Accent Rug: Artistic Weavers Rugs Elko Elephant Gray 2
$97.97 | Home Depot
Safavieh Tibetan Shag TBS517B 5'1" x 7'6" Black, Gold Rug
$209.72 | PlushRugs
Eclipse Kids Wave Blackout Window Curtain Panel - 12429042X063PNK
$17.99 | Hayneedle
Copley Leather Swivel Chair - Brighton Soul White White
Joybird Furniture