re-starting glucosamine/msm supplement

NinapearlSeptember 27, 2009

because of some digestive upsets, i discontinued supplements for my senior great dane until i got the situation under control. i believe all 3 of my dogs picked up a "bug" somewhere which produced some pretty awful diarrhea for a couple of days. they have all been on boiled chicken/rice for the past few days. i am re-introducing their regular kibble, we're almost there. they are all doing fine, activity levels back to normal, stool consistency normal (yayy!!!).

i want to start my girl back on her joint supplement asap. my question is this...is there a chance that re-introducing a joint supplement can cause digestive upset? i sure don't want to deal with more diarrhea but i really want her to have the added boost of this supplement.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Glucosamine can cause digestive upsets, absolutely. It's one of the known side effects. I've also read that it can hinder normal blood clotting.

Bookmark   September 28, 2009 at 1:58PM
todancewithwolves

I'm curious, what type of supplements do you use?

My St. Bernard is on the Move-Free which my vet recommended. I buy it at Costco. He's been on it for 3 years now. I didn't know glucosamine/msm supplements could cause digestive upsets. So far my boy has been doing okay.

Bookmark   September 29, 2009 at 6:50PM
Ninapearl

i've been using Flavocin for just over a year now. my dane girl is 8 years old, got her from rescue in august '08. it seems to have become somewhat ineffective so i called my vet a couple of days ago and he suggested i try her on Previcox so i picked some up yesterday. we'll see how she does.

Bookmark   September 30, 2009 at 5:37AM
ladybugfruit

I've been using Petco's Joint Support III for the last year and it has worked great. It not only has the glucosamine chondroitin but also msm and Hyaluronic Acid. No tummy upset seen with this one. Also another note, fish oil is a great supp to add with arthritis. My ridgeback used to have quite a bit of trouble before I started this combination and now she shows no signs of arthritic problems.

Bookmark   September 30, 2009 at 4:18PM
More Discussions
My cat won't eat or drink
My cat Shonen stopped eating and drinking 3 weeks ago...
andrea_san_diego
Cat much less active than a few months ago
Hi, I was wondering if anyone has experienced what...
chi83
automatic Litter boxes.......
I'm trying to connect with other users of the Cat Genie,,,,,so...
dfdureiko
Help with death on my dog
perianal fistula disease. Does anyone have experience...
ronminsouthga
Renal Failure In Dogs -
Hi, I took my rescued Cocker Spaniel to the vet last...
lucymarie
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™