Feline Painkiller

bbairdSeptember 24, 2009

After 2 days, I've stopped crying long enough to post this.

My beautiful, sweet, gentle, loving 10 year old cat was just diagnosed with both CRF and cancer (the CRF makes it virtually impossible to do surgery, because the anesthesia could kill her kidneys entirely. Also, without going in, they can't determine if the cancer is of the intestines, pancreas or spleen).

I've started her on fluids (Sub-Q). God, she's such a trooper.

All I can do is prepare. I want to know if there's any oral painkiller for cats.

I can't find anything on the Internet.

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sue36

When my cat had cancer we used a Fentanyl patch on him. It worked very well. They shaved a little spot on his leg and put the patch there.

Bookmark   September 25, 2009 at 9:28AM
lfnyc

So sorry...poor Puss. I've had cats with CRF and a cat with cancer, but never the combination.

My cat Otis lived > six months after an abdominal mass was found in a sonogram. He had been gradually losing weight and becomming lethargic for a while, but since he was getting older, and was a bit overweight, it didn't set off any alarm bells until it became obvious that he wasn't eating at all. Its hard to tell when a cat is in chronic pain (as opposed to acute pain, like after an accident or surgery). I think the best barometer is how well they eat. After the diagnosis, our vet (who felt that surgery was not a good option) put Otis on varying amounts of Prednisone. It increased his appetite nicely and and his last months were comfortable ones for him...there is no reason for a well loved pet who has a terminal dieease to live with chronic pain. My vet told me that i would know when it was time...

But your cat may be a long way from that. The fluids will make her feel much better...the dehydration from the CRF is probably (at this stage) what is causing her the most discomfort.

Don't give up hope...she sounds like she is in good hands.

L

Bookmark   September 25, 2009 at 10:00PM
bbaird

Thank you.

Bookmark   September 26, 2009 at 4:17PM
More Discussions
Excellent Animal Hospital in New England?
We are happy with our vet (actually vets, she has a...
sue36
Housetrained dog having accidents in the house!
My dog is about 2 and 1/2 years old and is housetrained...
bookworm_2007
How to get my new cat to stop fighting old/current cats
I posted a few weeks ago for advice on introducing...
phish_gw
Suddenly lost use of rear legs.
My 6 year old Golden suddenly lost use of his rear...
jgatty
Adopted older stray dog now poops in the house...
Hi, I adopted a stray dog from mexico. She is very...
Lynn Souliere Neal
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™