Sump pump release into yard

jjbjrJune 12, 2011

I have a sump pump that releases directly into my front yard. There is a slight slope going down. The pump usually releases every 10 to 15 minutes. I have begun digging a hole which at the moment is about a foot deep and 5ft by 3ft wide and nearly filled with water. I am interested in making a natural stone rain garden. Not finding much information concerning both in combination. I have clay soil so right now the water is not draining as fast as it should not sure how to handle this. The reason for this project is there was grass there originally that was always swamp like and not very pleasant to look at. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks jjbjr

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brickeyee

If you do not get the water far enough away from the sump pit it WILL end up back there.

Bookmark   June 13, 2011 at 10:29AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dan_martyn

jjbjr,

You can get catch basins, underground piping and a pop-up at your local plumbing supply or big box. You can recess the catch basin in the ground (grate on top) just under the sump termination. extend the underground piping 30 to 50 feet away from the house and terminate piping with a pop-up. The water will be pumped into the catch basin and when the piping fills, the pop-up opens up releasing the water into the yard. This eliminates the water from getting back into the sump.

Hope that helps,

Dan

Bookmark   June 13, 2011 at 1:31PM
More Discussions
Does reverse osmosis water corrode copper plumbing? The answer ..
The answer is YES. I did a very unscientific study...
ohmmm_gw
Can we bypass old hot water heater?
Any reason we can't bypass and then remove this old...
shellking
Rainfresh water filter leaks from top.
I have a Rainfresh water filter. It seems to be leaking...
gtrshop
Pulldown sprayer leaking
My Moen pulldown faucet (with Reflex Technology!) was...
ginny20
Grohe Ladylux Cafe Touch Faucet
Does anyone have this faucet, and if so, do you like...
sharon_va
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™