well sediment in irrigation filter - help please!

dantisJune 7, 2011

Hi All,

I had a submersible well pump replaced 1 year ago. It still operates fine, except, now that I have turned on my irrigation system, the irrigation filter with 60 mesh screen is getting clogged with sediment. its sand and fine silt mostly, rust colored. I don't see this in my house fixtures because I have a water softener. After only 4 hours of sprinkler run time the filter is clogged solid. Any ideas why I am getting so much sediment? When it was first put in, i got some, and I had the pump raised some, but apparently that did not work. I am also concerned I may be clogging my pump and stressing my softener system. I am at a loss. well guy wants me to run garden hose from bottom of pressure tank to "flush" well again, but its been a year!! Help please!!

Thank you

dan

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dantis

I should also note, that before i had the pump changed, there was a paper whole house ctaridge filter on the irrigation system that I would only need to change once a season, no sediment at all. So the problem did start with the new pump.

Bookmark   June 7, 2011 at 11:22AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dan_martyn

How deep is the well? Is it a shallow well? If so you may need a sand removal filter. The attached link shows an automatic model which purges sand at a variable setting. It can be purchased at one of the big box retailers. The item number is a Lowes item number. You may be able to google the model and find another source.

My first well was sending sand up and when I researched the well log, the driller only went through 85 feet of sand/silt. I had them drill another well deeper and through the rock layer to water on the other side. No sand, but plenty of iron here. I have an iron filter which works Great.

Hope this helps,

Take Care

Dan

Ecopure Whole House Sediment Water Filtration System
Item #:291417 : Model #:EP-ASF1

Here is a link that might be useful: Lowes

Bookmark   June 10, 2011 at 2:51PM
More Discussions
Water Softener - calling justalurker
Hopefully you are still around. I had reached out a...
toddimt
troubleshooting thermostatic valve for shower
troubleshooting thermostatic valve, no hot water and...
bathroomblues1
Toilet swirls, but won't flush!!
Very frustrated. The toilet seems to be ok, it gets...
edweather
Does reverse osmosis water corrode copper plumbing? The answer ..
The answer is YES. I did a very unscientific study...
ohmmm_gw
LaToscana Novello Thermostatic Shower Valve
Trouble with LaToscana Novello Shower Valve- no hot...
bathroomblues1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™