Square corner wall cabinets vs blind corners

frontMarch 17, 2014

What are your thoughts on square wall corners? The ones with the hinge in the middle? It is 24x24. The other option is a blind corner. It will increase the size of the adjacent cabinets, but there will be the blind area which will not get much use.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cat_mom

We opted to do a blind corner, in order to preserve the adj runs of cabinetry as drawer space along one leg or run, and as a tray cabinet on the other, right next to the range. We located the gas shut-off valve (required in our municipality) in the blind corner (accessible via a pull-out panel in the wall of the tray cabinet). This freed up all of drawer and cabinet space on either side of the range.

Bookmark   March 17, 2014 at 12:45PM
annkh_nd

I think front is asking about uppers.

I have 2 easy-reach uppers in my kitchen, and I love them - tons better than the diagonal uppers I used to have. I wanted to get to the corner space.

My Mom had a blind corner in her kitchen, and made good use of it. Her house was built long before someone came up with the easy-reach idea. She was able to reach part-way into the blind part, and put things in the back she rarely used.

I think the decider would be how big the adjacent cabinet is, and what you plan to put there. I can't remember your dimensions exactly, but if you can eliminate a 12" upper cabinet with either option, you will come out ahead.

Bookmark   March 17, 2014 at 12:57PM
babbie

I love my square corner wall much more than the blind corner I used to have. I am able to make better use of space. It did dictate some of my layout based on spacing but I do not regret it.

Bookmark   March 21, 2014 at 6:26PM
may_flowers

With a blind corner, I got a 28" double-door cabinet instead of a 16" cabinet. I just want to open a door or pull out a drawer and not fiddle with two-piece hinged doors and roll-out shelves and Susans. It's only a 12" deep blind cabinet, not a black hole where things are never seen again. I stuff it with paper towel rolls and other odd tall things, like a box of cereal or tall bottles. The shelves in my other wall cabinets are spaced closer, so it gives me one cab for those items.

Bookmark   March 21, 2014 at 7:26PM
More Discussions
Cabinet coat for office
I am painting over dark stained builtins in our home...
erinnicole
how to deal with delays
our cabinets were supposedly on pace to be delivered...
lmgch (formerly on GW)
School me on galley kitchen layout!
So I've tried to start learning from the experts here...
red_argyle
Help! White Kitchen, dark counter and gold/brass fixtures???
Actual kitchen; it's dark and dull! My husband and...
Azalia Speight
The Kitchen Designer Landscape
There seems to be a few scenarios out there. Some I...
denizenx
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™