leak problem with threaded connections

homeboundJune 5, 2012

In a shower rough-in, I'm testing and getting drips at some threaded connections that I can't seem to solve.

I'm using 3/4 CPVC male adaptors into the volume control valves (Rohl), along with Rectorseal T plus 2 (I also tried 4 or 5 wraps of teflon tape). I've tried both the fully CPVC ones, and the ones that are brass/cpvc combo. I am cranking them in there nice and tight with two wrenches, then gluing it all together...and wham...another @$#% drip. Any idea what I'm doing wrong here? Thanks much.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lazypup

Your putting the thread adapters in "Nice & tight" but not nice & tight enough...LOL.

Crank them ondown a bit more....when MIP thread fitting is made up correctly there should be no more than 1 thread still visible.

Bookmark   June 5, 2012 at 10:03AM
homebound

Thanks for the advice.

BTW, this last time I really cranked them...almost to the point I was afraid I might crack the valve. I'm going over to water test today - hopefully finally got it.

Also, there are a total of 8 of these connections in this bathroom. First, 3 were leaking, then 1, so maybe I'm ok. But should I disassemble the other 5 and crank them down just in case? The others were holding, but I don't want a bad surprise two weeks later.

Bookmark   June 5, 2012 at 10:13AM
cas66ragtop

Wow, didn't realize threaded connections were that difficult.

Bookmark   December 3, 2012 at 8:47PM
brickeyee

"Wow, didn't realize threaded connections were that difficult."

They are not with the correct pipe dope and decent size wrenches.

Bookmark   December 4, 2012 at 12:39PM
lazypup

Brickeye,,,you are absolutely correct,,"They are not with the correct pipe dope and decent size wrenches."

The problem is, most homeowners & DIY'ers have never seen descent size pipe wrenches. Most of them are struggling along with 14", 16" & maybe 18" el cheapo wrenches made in China when in fact, for working 3/4" pipe they should be using an 18" to steady the pipe and another 18" or 24" to turn the fitting or vice versa.

I love to see ppls reaction when we are tearing out old 4" and we resort to the 48" or 60" pipe wrenches. Most ppl have never seen a pipe wrench that is 5ft long and they surely would not want to see the price tag... 60"iron frame is $315 and a 48" aluminum frame is $347.

Bookmark   December 4, 2012 at 2:46PM
brickeyee

I have used my pair of 60 inch Stillson brand just enough times over the years in renovation work to be glad I inherited them from my Grandfather.

They are steel and are indeed a real handful.

I even have spare jaws.

Bookmark   December 7, 2012 at 1:26PM
More Discussions
troubleshooting thermostatic valve for shower
troubleshooting thermostatic valve, no hot water and...
bathroomblues1
Pulldown sprayer leaking
My Moen pulldown faucet (with Reflex Technology!) was...
ginny20
corrosion seen on hot water shutoff valves
I was repairing a minor leak in the kitchen faucet...
jastrong5
Yes or No to Easy Water (no-salt) water softener?
I started this thread to reply to Sam because the prior...
peoplelover
Water Softener - calling justalurker
Hopefully you are still around. I had reached out a...
toddimt
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™