"Sweet" suggestions for kidney patient?

slowlaneDecember 4, 2012

My new neighbor suffers from some kind of kidney problem. I know she is unable to work and is on disability because of her condition. I don't know her well at all, but I'd like to give her and her husband a plate of Christmas treats as I do my other neighbors. Is there anything I need to keep in mind when baking for a person with kidney problems?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sushipup1

I'd ask first. She might have other conditions that caused the kidney problems.

Bookmark   December 4, 2012 at 7:47PM
annie1992

I agree, there could be other health issues, like diabetes, etc. I know my stepmother couldn't eat foods high in potassium while she was on dialysis. Now her kidneys are better but she can't eat green stuff because she's on Coumadin, so you should definitely check.

It's nice of you to make goodies, though, and I'm sure they'd love some.

Annie

Bookmark   December 4, 2012 at 9:32PM
slowlane

Thanks--she doesn't really associate with anyone--I guess she's just not able--but maybe her husband could tell me what she could have.

Bookmark   December 4, 2012 at 10:13PM
woodsy_1 Zone 5b Illinois

I recently started making freezer meals for my parents. Dad has stage 3 kidney failure along with a host of other health issues, meaning he has to maintain a low potassium, low cholesterol, low sodium diet. Mom is "pre"-diabetic (if there is such a thing), and follows a strict diabetic diet.

It's especially tricky because they insist on eating the same meals, so everything has to fit all of the dietary criteria. I found the amazing website linked below (I have no affiliation). I can't say whether the desserts are good because I haven't gotten that far. They do enjoy the main dishes. I print out the nutrition info for each recipe and attach it to the containers so they can plan the day's meals more effectively. That might work for your neighbor.

I hope you find this helpful. Bless you for wanting to do this. Too often people become ignored for their issues when all it takes is a little effort by someone who cares.

Here is a link that might be useful: Davita

Bookmark   December 5, 2012 at 12:37PM
More Discussions
Aeropress coffee-science question for coffee weenies
I got an Aeropress today. Just made my first cup of...
l pinkmountain
I still love cooking....
I still love cooking and sorry to have been MIA for...
wizardnm
Happy Birthday Nancy/wizardnm
A little bird just told me that today is your birthday,...
annie1992
Feels like the longest winter ever- anyone else dying for ramps?
Ok, so I can't stop thinking about ramp season. Maybe...
kiwigem
Pasta rolling pin aka mattarello
I'm planning on purchasing a mattarello or pasta rolling...
miscel
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™