Replacing toilet with 13' rough in-- go 12 or 14'?

sharonskipsJune 5, 2012

1. From the wall to the middle of the bolts of the existing toilet is exactly 13" I triple measured, 13". BUT the toilet sticks out from the wall about an inch or so too far. So for the next one to be closer to the wall am I looking for to fit to a 12" or 14" rough in?

2. When I know the answer to #1, I want to try to buy the replacement at Habitat Restore (yep, a pre-owned toilet). How do I recognize which ones are the right size for the rough in?

Your help is very appreciated!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
homebound

Well, with each toilet you put a vertical edge up against the back of the toilet (to simulate a wall), then measure from the bolt holes back to that "wall". You could do this with a vanity cabinet in the store, a door, a nearby wall or post, or you could bring along your 4' level and do it that way.

Some toilets will give you extra room to the wall even when sized properly, others less so. (Eg. if one buys a Am. Std. Cadet 3 with standard 12" rough, it's sits quite far off the wall anyway.

Bookmark   June 5, 2012 at 9:10AM
sharonskips

Bring my own wall, of course! I was all stumped over the math, and you bring me the common sense of experience. Thank you SO much!

Bookmark   June 5, 2012 at 5:16PM
sharonskips

If I allow for the overhang of the tank lid my L-square should be perfect for the job. Seriously, you made my day!

Bookmark   June 5, 2012 at 5:20PM
talley_sue_nyc

Homebound: you wrote:
(Eg. if one buys a Am. Std. Cadet 3 with standard 12" rough, it's sits quite far off the wall anyway."

Does this mean you could actually put it on an 11" rough-in, or a 10"?

Bookmark   June 5, 2012 at 6:56PM
homebound

Thanks, Sharon - you made my day, too.

Sue,
Yup, it might fit an 11" rough, but who has that?

The extra space behind the toilet might seem odd at first, but not much you can do after it's installed so might as well get used to it. (And that's when you talk up the positives to a client of having it that way: a) easier to paint wall behind toilet, B) more dramatic effect, C) allows one to build a really skinny shelf right behind it (that you always wanted), D) one of the best flushers money can buy, E) cleans easier, ......

Bookmark   June 6, 2012 at 12:21AM
snoonyb

The standard rough-in is 12".

In addition to those mentioned by homebound, is condensation and the restriction of natural air circulation when the tank is close to the wall, which can promote mold growth.

Bookmark   June 6, 2012 at 11:47AM
kirkhall

"Yup, it might fit an 11" rough in, but who has that?"

I do.

It is very annoying.

Bookmark   June 6, 2012 at 12:34PM
sharonskips

Turns out the toilet was so far from the wall because it was made to fit a 10" rough in. The rough in is the normal 12". One of the few normal things in the place.

Thanks everybody!

Bookmark   June 15, 2012 at 12:17AM
More Discussions
Grohe Ladylux Cafe Touch Faucet
Does anyone have this faucet, and if so, do you like...
sharon_va
38 ga. tank - not getting 2 hot showers?
We have just finished a renovation project that included...
ashebrook
toilet flapper closes too fast
a 5 y.o. AS 4396 w/Fluidmaster guts. The flapper is...
fritzgarden
Good shower heads for low water pressure
Hi, We are living in an area with low water pressure....
lynne_melb
Pulldown sprayer leaking
My Moen pulldown faucet (with Reflex Technology!) was...
ginny20
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™