Do you brush your dog's teeth?

socksSeptember 9, 2013

I got some dog toothpaste and a brush and try to do it. He is fairly cooperative, but I'm not sure I'm doing any good. I wonder if I could put the toothpaste on my finger and do it so at least I would have a better "feel" for what is going on in there!

I saw dog dental wipes on Amazon and wonder if they are any better.

What works best?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
weed30

I don't, but I need to start. I've used the brushes and don't like them - my dogs aren't overly cooperative and it seems too easy to hurt them with the hard plastic handle, plus as you mention, you don't have a "feel" for what you're doing/getting at.

I've linked a google image search that show the ones I think would be great. They fit on the end of your finger and have rubber 'bristles'.

Here is a link that might be useful: dog finger toothbrush

Bookmark   September 9, 2013 at 11:01PM
Ninapearl

i feed raw so there's no need to brush. the bones don't let tartar take hold. my dogs recently had their yearly check up and the vet was amazed at their pearly whites. :)

Bookmark   September 10, 2013 at 7:33AM
ilovepoco

I also feed raw. My dogs' teeth are so clean they almost glow in the dark. I had a stranger stop me on one of our walks in the woods to admire their teeth - then she said, "I'm a dental hygienist, so I should know!"

Try giving a few raw meaty bones each week and see if you notice a difference.

I'm not a raw-food fanatic... but besides the tooth-cleaning aspect, my dogs seem to get a deep satisfaction over a long session of bone-gnawing. No fighting - they pass the bone back and forth for a few hours, and then I toss it when they lose interest.

Bookmark   September 11, 2013 at 12:03PM
More Discussions
loose aggressive dog on walk, need help
i need helpful advice about aggressive dog in neighborhood....
adoiron
how many of you like mice?
They are Ginny and scabbers.I don't have them now because...
adi003
Am I confusing my cat?
I've had My Manx for 3 years this summer. He was an...
craftylady
How Do I Get Smell Out Of Pet Bed?
I got a really nice clean looking orthopedic pet bed...
peabody1
UBAVET Joint Plus Glucosamine HCL
Does anyone have their dog or cat on UBAVET Joint Plus...
marielle(zone4b-5a)
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™