Toto flapper

bus_driverMay 5, 2012

Yesterday was the first problem with my Totos now in use for 7 years. The chain lift pulled out of the flapper. No easy fix for the failure. Some sellers ask almost $25 for the flapper. 3" flush valve. Korky, Lavelle and Fluidmaster make flappers claimed to work on the Toto. After looking carefully, the Fluidmaster #5403 was my choice. Priced a little under $11 (plus tax) at Lowes. Works perfectly. Ingenious adjustments to fit different toilets. I believe that it will be more durable than the original.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
randy427

Still a bit pricey IMHO.

Bookmark   May 6, 2012 at 4:51PM
bus_driver

What have you found that is both suitable and available at a better price?

Bookmark   May 6, 2012 at 7:57PM
justalurker

Designer toilets = designer parts prices... just the way it is.

Does seem that the engineers at Fluidmaster are made to actually use what they design so their stuff works and their prices are as reasonable as possible.

Bookmark   May 6, 2012 at 9:37PM
don_1_2006

I have Toto toilets and have used Fluidmaster flappers all along. Around $5.00 at Home Depot. Spares hanging in the garage.

Bookmark   May 7, 2012 at 12:27PM
kudzu9

I'd say that, if the replacement lasts 7 years, that's a depreciation of about 3 cents a week versus maybe 2 cents a week for a cheaper version, so it shouldn't be a big strain on your budget!

Bookmark   May 7, 2012 at 12:29PM
bus_driver

According to the HD website, they do not offer the model 5403 Fluidmaster flapper. And the ones they do offer are for smaller flush valves.

Bookmark   May 7, 2012 at 12:54PM
bus_driver

As it does with many other people, price does affect my purchase decisions. Why pay more than necessary for a particular item? But even though the nearest Lowes and HD are near each other, I go to Lowes first. Lowes location is fairly easy to exit and then go either direction on the public street. HD can be exited in one direction easily, but the other direction is a nightmare. And the easy direction leads away from Lowes. Going to HD first makes going to Lowes afterward difficult. It does affect my choices.

Bookmark   May 8, 2012 at 8:38AM
More Discussions
Can i have a pan put under a water heater that is aleady installed?
I dont have a pan under my water heater and i fear...
tlbean2004
How long do PVC DWV pipes last?
I inherited our house that was built in 1972 and was...
Neptune Power Washing
Rainfresh water filter leaks from top.
I have a Rainfresh water filter. It seems to be leaking...
gtrshop
Help with smelly well water
Just a little background. We bought a house 3 years...
cmonkey
Water Softener - Where to start?
I am looking to purchase a water softener given our...
sagosto
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™