Exploding toilet

onmiown3May 23, 2011

Hi all,

The toilet on the ground floor of our house has been backing up 3-4 times a week for a month now.

This Sunday , it would not unclog and we noticed that when we flushed the two toilets on the upper level, the lower level toilet would fill up with brackish water. We called a plumber, but the soonest they can get to us is tomorrow afternoon.

Tonight, the toilet exploded waste water over a 8 ft diameter area. My husband keeps flushing this backed up toliet, in hope of "clearing it". He's flushed it twice since the explosion.

So, what is going on? Main line issue? Also, should we cease using any toilet in our house? Is my husband "1 beer short of a six pack" for repeatedly flushing a broken toilet? I keep telling him to leave it alone, as it looks like a big problem and flushing won't fix it, but he's being stubborn.

Thanks,

K

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dan_martyn

Unfortunatly this problem will probably only be solved with a hands on approach. Sounds like there is a clog in the main downstream from the three toilets. Waste water is backing up in the lowest toilet.

Take Care,

Dan

Bookmark   May 24, 2011 at 1:06PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brickeyee

If the clog is after the toilet's vent line there is no real way to apply any pressure to push it through.

Time for a plumber with a power snake.

Bookmark   May 25, 2011 at 10:03AM
More Discussions
Warm water mornings on cold line for 30 secs....
We have been living in a home built in 2011 (in Canada)...
nikolaos2012
Toilet swirls, but won't flush!!
Very frustrated. The toilet seems to be ok, it gets...
edweather
the dreaded frozen pipes...
Hello all, I hope someone out there can help me. I...
kineala
shower problem....can someone give me a clue?
My hot water plumbing JUST started acting "wonky."...
bevangel_i_h8_h0uzz
De-winterize, re-winterize...costs?
My 24 yr old son is buying a 1950 home on a short sale...
cindywhitall
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™