20 year old shower head yeild 1/5gpm????

andrelaplume2May 17, 2010

I must be doing something wrong. I have a teanager who can not seam to get out of the shower before 20 minutes...twice a day! I read that old tech shower heads could be using 4 - 5 gallons of water per minute. Well our home is 20 years old, we bought it 3 years ago, I assume the shower head is likely original. It sort of has 3 positions but we only ever use one and have no complaints. Its made of plastic. I was thinking that this sucker must be using 5 gallons a minute and I could save a bundle by putting a 1.5 gpm head in...save on my hot water heater too!

I took a 1.25 gallon bucket and it filled in 60 seconds. HOW CAN THAT BE? Was water saver tech around 20 years ago?

I have not tried the kids bathroom yet, just mine. It would seam I should leave weel enough alone...?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gildomilo

We had one in my house at least 25 if not 30 years ago.

Bookmark   May 17, 2010 at 10:06PM
lazypup

If your shower heads are 20 years old no doubt the tiny holes in the shower head have by now been either restricted or obstructed by mineral scale deposits and its time to replace the shower heads.

Bookmark   May 18, 2010 at 3:41PM
kudzu9

Many older showers have had flow restrictors added to them. It's about a 10 cent piece of plastic and takes only a couple of minutes to install.

Bookmark   May 18, 2010 at 6:49PM
andrelaplume2

so are you saying folks could spend ten cents instead of $35 for a new head!?

Bookmark   May 19, 2010 at 2:03PM
lazypup

The first step should be to remove the shower head and measure the flow directly from the shower arm. If your getting good flow from the shower arm then you know the problem is in the shower head.

If you determine the problem is in the shower head you may have success with soaking the shower head overnight in a solution of limeaway or CLR.

Now in regards to spending $35 on a new shower head, I have seen shower heads ranging from $4 to over $1400. personally my favorite one is chrome plated solid brass and produces a spray that feels like a pressure washer for a mere $4.

Bookmark   May 20, 2010 at 10:06PM
kudzu9

andrelaplume-
If you are only trying to reduce the flow through the showerhead, then yes. It's just a little plastic disc with a small hole in it. You take off the showerhead and place the disc up in the threads and then screw it back on. My utility gives them away for free.

Now if you have a showerhead with clogged holes and can't clean them out with a needle, then you may want to buy a new showerhead.

Bookmark   May 21, 2010 at 3:15AM
baymee

The shower head restrictors go back to the late '70s when we were in the second "energy crisis". But, if your head has plugged up to the point of 1.25 gpm, why replace it? That's what you want anyway, right?

Bookmark   May 21, 2010 at 6:13AM
homebound

"But, if your head has plugged up to the point of 1.25 gpm, why replace it? That's what you want anyway, right?"

Agreed.

Bookmark   May 21, 2010 at 7:30AM
andrelaplume2

NO, its no plugged up at all! It provides a nice shower. I just assumed since it was old there would be something more efficient...guess I was wrong...I am leaving it alone!

Bookmark   June 9, 2010 at 4:38PM
asolo

You could teach your teenager about "Navy showers".....wet down, turn water off while you soap-up/scrub-up, then rinse. Similar procedure for tooth-brushing.

Bookmark   June 9, 2010 at 5:09PM
More Discussions
Water Softener - calling justalurker
Hopefully you are still around. I had reached out a...
toddimt
shower neck leaking
Just installed a shower head (in new construction),...
sid_79
Plumbing Kohler Ceiling Tub Filler K-922
Anyone have experience installing this laminar flow...
Logcabin1
Fire Sprinkler
Purchasing a home with an indoor fire sprinkler system....
jglo
De-winterize, re-winterize...costs?
My 24 yr old son is buying a 1950 home on a short sale...
cindywhitall
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™