Reliability of old gas valve?

grandmumMay 22, 2012

I have an older nat'l gas valve in my crawl that control a grill that is not used. I want to turn it to the off position but I am leary to do so because of its age.

Its about 30 years old and is a quarter turn handle valve that looks to have oil packing and a nut on the other side of the handle.

My experience with old valves is once they are moved they leak. Do these oil pack valves have a tendency to leak if they have not been used in many many years if ever?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jakethewonderdog

Most natural gas valves are reliable, although I've had more of an issue with these valves not providing positive shut off than leaking around packing.

Always cap a natural gas line, don't just rely on a closed valve when doing temporary servicing of appliances, etc.

To ease your mind, I would turn off the valve, and then test for leaks around the valve and packing with soap water.
Put some dish soap and water in a spray bottle or swab on with a brush or rag. You will see bubbles if it's leaking.

Bookmark   May 23, 2012 at 10:39AM
More Discussions
38 ga. tank - not getting 2 hot showers?
We have just finished a renovation project that included...
ashebrook
Toilet swirls, but won't flush!!
Very frustrated. The toilet seems to be ok, it gets...
edweather
Good shower heads for low water pressure
Hi, We are living in an area with low water pressure....
lynne_melb
patentened iron removal/air filox all in one 1k?
anyone seen or tried or have a opinion on this? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004FVZHLC/ref=pe_54960_133354970_em_1p_0_ti#customerReviews Product...
Mike Maruska
Water Softener - calling justalurker
Hopefully you are still around. I had reached out a...
toddimt
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™