Kitchen faucet drips, but stops once it is turned on and off

amav31May 17, 2014

I have a single handle kitchen faucet that was installed 4yrs ago. Recently it started dripping. But if I turn the handle up and down(on and off) the dripping stops.
So It does not drip constantly, but still it is an annoyance because I need to lift the handle up and down more than once to stop the dripping. My question is, is this a problem with washer/threads or should I replace the entire faucet? This is the second time I had to replace with a new faucet because our previous one was also doing the same thing and I did not care to repair it. Just replaced it and now in 4 yrs it is back to dripping.
Please advice.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rwiegand

Likely new washers. They only cost a buck and replacement is a 10 min job compared to a lot more of both for a new faucet. Take the opportunity to inspect what's going on-- are you getting mineral accumulation or particulates that are causing the leak? Perhaps not much to be done about it, but at least you'll know. A washerless ceramic disk faucet might help in the longer run, but they are a lot more expensive than a couple of O-rings every few years.

Bookmark   May 19, 2014 at 8:03AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
OldTimeCarpenter1

You will get a better response if you identify the make and model of the faucet. There are too many possible causes to just guess in the dark.

Bookmark   May 23, 2014 at 1:45AM
More Discussions
Pulldown sprayer leaking
My Moen pulldown faucet (with Reflex Technology!) was...
ginny20
Cold Water TOO COLD! What to do?
I know there is a lot of concern over regulating hot...
mrb6228
Am I the only one bothered by this?
Since Houzz took over, these forums have become a spam-infested...
aliceinwonderland_id
Plumbing Kohler Ceiling Tub Filler K-922
Anyone have experience installing this laminar flow...
Logcabin1
shower problem....can someone give me a clue?
My hot water plumbing JUST started acting "wonky."...
bevangel_i_h8_h0uzz
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™