Sink Trap SLIPS - please help

Glanz4May 9, 2011

We have a garage sink and the washer dumps its water into that sink and i believe the pressure of the water being dumped into the sink and down the drain slowly makes the sink trap slip and floods the garage. This has been on-going for a couple of years. My husband couldn't figure it out so he wedged a board between the floor and the trap so the weight of the water could not make the trap slip. Then recently I decided to hire a plumber to permanently fix it, and he used all new metal pipes/trap and it still slips! The plumber came back and re-tightened everything and said it would 'not' happen again - and it has! What else can be done? Has anybody encountered this before? Please advise of a permanent solution, as I never want to flood my garage again. Thank you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
homebound

Assuming it's the plastic slip-fit type, sometimes the nylon washer doesn't get snug enough when tightened. You could undo it, replace the washer, and reconnect it. Tighten it a good deal, then tug on it to confirm that it's snug. (Then, after all that, you might want to wedge a board between the floor and the trap.)

You could also add support to the trap arm if it's long. the trap arm is the horizontal pipe behind the trap.

Bookmark   May 9, 2011 at 8:34PM
More Discussions
De-winterize, re-winterize...costs?
My 24 yr old son is buying a 1950 home on a short sale...
cindywhitall
Fire Sprinkler
Purchasing a home with an indoor fire sprinkler system....
jglo
Water Softener - calling justalurker
Hopefully you are still around. I had reached out a...
toddimt
Toilet swirls, but won't flush!!
Very frustrated. The toilet seems to be ok, it gets...
edweather
corrosion seen on hot water shutoff valves
I was repairing a minor leak in the kitchen faucet...
jastrong5
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™