Cat vitamins

two25acresSeptember 29, 2011

I have two diabetics, one has done very well with his injections/eating, the other is just not doing well. She's lost weight, the rear legs just don't seem to work so well for her. They give out on her often. One leg was broken about 7 years ago, we saved the leg but had to put a rod in and have kept it in. She's always done well with it until the diabetes hit. I remembered my mom taking b-12 shots after giving birth to my twin brothers (they came in at 18 pounds), it did wonders for her and I'm thinking there should be something like that for my cat. What I came up with was Methylcobalamin. Anybody using it?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
annzgw

When was the last time the vet saw her? It sounds like her insulin needs to be adjusted.

Bookmark   September 29, 2011 at 6:55PM
two25acres

It's been about 6 weeks and I'm actually taking her tomorrow. Need to renew the prescription for insulin. Thank you for the reply.

Bookmark   September 30, 2011 at 2:13PM
cynthia_gw

Yes, it sounds like she needs an insulin adjustment. Is she staying at the vets all day for a curve? The weakness in hind legs can be indicative of seriously high glucose. Do you do home testing at all if not a complete curve? AlphaTrack is a good home meter just for animals and many vest use it. I like to have the same meter as the vet so that I know the readings are comparable. But I think the physical signs - continued weight loss and hind end weakness - are pointing to an insulin adjustment. Do you nix the insulin every 30 days? Most states do not require prescription for insulin, so you could buy it at any pharmacy.

Bookmark   October 1, 2011 at 10:36AM
annzgw

Did the vet make any changes today??

Bookmark   October 1, 2011 at 6:10PM
cynthia_gw

How is kitty? What did the vet say?

Bookmark   October 2, 2011 at 1:47PM
two25acres

We have increased the dosage to 4 units. Going to try and do an all natural diet for her as well. Started transitioning her to it this weekend. We're taking that slow though. I get her needles at Walgreens, wasn't aware that I could get the insulin there. She's picky about the food I give her, prefers that cheap stuff to the good stuff. Thanks for the input, hopefully she is on her way back to good health.

Bookmark   October 3, 2011 at 1:09PM
cynthia_gw

Glad you have a new dosage. The right food is really important. You want mostly meat/protein/low carb food or she will not be well regulated and will need continued insulin increases. A raw diet is great, or try Orijen if you need kibble. For snacks or treats dehydrated meats. If you are not doing testing at home, are you taking her back in two weeks or so for another curve? Good luck and hope kitty is feeling better now.

Bookmark   October 3, 2011 at 7:50PM
More Discussions
loose aggressive dog on walk, need help
i need helpful advice about aggressive dog in neighborhood....
adoiron
Finally, no more poop eating.
After trying every product under the sun with no help...
roobear
UBAVET Joint Plus Glucosamine HCL
Does anyone have their dog or cat on UBAVET Joint Plus...
marielle(zone4b-5a)
My cat has an unknown illness! Help!!!!
Hi There I have a 14 and a half year old male cat Sylvester...
rachelmfi
Bentley & Olivia
olivia has settled in so well with a flawless transition,...
Ninapearl
Sponsored Products
Black Cat 19-oz Wine Glasses (Set of 4)
Overstock.com
Irony Wall Decor
| Dot & Bo
Outdoor Non-Heated Kitty A-Frame House
$99.50 | FRONTGATE
Kichler Cats Eye Tiffany Glass Mini Pendant
1800Lighting
Couture Cat's Paw Coral Bold Silver Table Lamp
Lamps Plus