Not exactly plumbing - Q's about repairing a hand water pump

jel48May 11, 2011

Can anyone help with this or direct me to a source of information? We have a piece of wooded property that has a drilled well with a steel casing on it. I don't know much about wells so I hope I describe it adequately. It's about 8 inches in diameter and I'm not sure how deep. It has a hand pump on it. This is the kind of pump that keeps water in the pipe all of the time, so it provides instant water from the first pump on the handle, no priming necessary.

The pump is by Dempster Mill Manufacturing (Beatrice, NE) and it has the number 380-3-4067 on it. I believe this is the model number. It also has a number 5899 on it. I'm not sure what that is. I can upload a photo of the pump itself, if it would be helpful.

Last winter, the water in the pipes apparently froze and busted the PVC pipe right below the pump. We have taken everything off of the pump that we can remove and can not find a way to disconnect the cast iron part of the pump from the PVC pipe so that we can remove the pump and pull the PVC pipe for replacement.

I've also searched online for a manuel for this pump and have found none.

Can anyone provide some direction? Is this something we're going to be able to repair ourselves, or are we going to have to pay a well company to come out and do it. Obviously, we'd prefer to do it ourselves, or I wouldn't be here asking!


Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Not familiar with that pump. But I suspect that it is a piston pump that is actually mounted on the lower end of the pipe and actuated by a rod that extends from the pump handle to the pump through the PCV pipe. I suggest lifting the whole thing out of the well. It may require additional people and/or equipment. In the old days, it was called a "sucker rod" since a long slender rod works OK in tension but not in compression (it will buckle). Those pumps delivered when the rod was pulled upward a few inches. The weighted rod was returned to the bottom by gravity.

    Bookmark   May 13, 2011 at 11:18AM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Doable...European sink & US bathroom pop-up drain and faucet?
if I purchase a small Belfast sink fron England to...
Salt-free water conditioning
Hi all, Considering installing a water softener in...
Undermount sink edge intrudes on cut-out for faucet
15 years ago my kitchen was totally renovated by a...
Fed up and ready to tackle my well water issues
I've been reading posts trying to educate myself for...
what brand water softener
have 2400 sq ft rancher on town water. do not have...
Sponsored Products
Monaco Blue Ovo Floor Lamp
Lamps Plus
Edushape 30 Piece Mini Edutrain Bag - 826028
$29.64 | Hayneedle
Eggplant Textured Silk Parker Light Blaster Floor Lamp
Lamps Plus
Hand-tufted Gray Coffman Wool Rug (9' x 13')
Victoria Damask Glass Brush Holder
$29.50 | FRONTGATE
Waffle Stick Maker
$17.99 | zulily
Tough-1 Softfleece Polo Wraps - Set of 4 - 67-7013-400-0
$25.99 | Hayneedle
Safavieh Handmade Moroccan Cambridge Silver Wool Rug (5' x 8')
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™