Why is my cat protesting?

whimziklSeptember 10, 2011

OK, here's the scenario!

We have 2 male cats..one is 8 yrs old, the other is 16. We also have a 5 year old Golden Retreiver. Everyone is living in harmony and we still are...BUT about 3 months ago, I rescued a little female cat who is about 2 years old. About a month ago, the 16 year old cat decides to do #2 in the living room...not #1, which I'm grateful for (yuck!) If he gets caught, he continues to do his thing and I clean it up! I have taken him to the litter boxes, which he does use for #1, so now I don't know what to do!! I thought maybe he'd quit, but maybe its laziness on his part. He was just to the vet for checkup and shots.. they did bloodwork and fecal tests and he's healthy. I think he's just protesting the newest member of the family.

Any suggestions (other than confining him - HA!) would be welcome!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
annzgw

Did you add an extra litter box? He may not appreciate sharing.

Bookmark   September 10, 2011 at 2:48PM
cynthia_gw

If he'a urinating in the litter box, but defecating in the living room, he may be having pain when he poops. (Associates litter box with pain.) Are his stools dry or hard?

Bookmark   September 10, 2011 at 4:28PM
whimzikl

We have 4 litter boxes..cleaned daily, so I think I'm ok in that department...his stools look like tootsie rolls, actually look pretty perfect! :)

I really can't scold him..he's an OLD man and I can't put a litter box in the LR...so I guess we'll just wait for the attitude to change!

Thanks!

Bookmark   September 10, 2011 at 8:38PM
ktmast

OMG! Maybe the poor thing is just going senile! Seriously though, is he doing it in the same place each time? Could you spray the area with one of those repellent sprays? Maybe put a litter box where he is relieving for the time being?

Bookmark   September 12, 2011 at 7:03PM
More Discussions
Anyone had a problem with 'DreamBones' dog snack?
Has anyone had any problems with a dog snack called...
cas66ragtop
It's 2015....time for a new post about Vaccuum cleaners for Pet hair!!
Exciting, I know!! :). I searched and the most recent...
magsnj
How to keep my cat from killing birds
Does anyone have any secrets for how to keep their...
phish_gw
Cat much less active than a few months ago
Hi, I was wondering if anyone has experienced what...
chi83
automatic Litter boxes.......
I'm trying to connect with other users of the Cat Genie,,,,,so...
dfdureiko
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™