septic or plumbing problem?

rschreiberMay 1, 2012

We have a strong urine smell coming from heater vents/switch plates along the middle section of the entire length of bottom floor of our house. It began when our septic system was re-piped. We have had the septic company out but they can't find any leaks. Cleaned out vents as well. Not rats, no cat, children gone, outside house sealed of openings. We live in SF Bay Area and the house is 20 years old. This has been going on since December--help--it wakes us up at night as the smell wafts through the air....

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Sophie Wheeler

Heater vents and switch plates do not emit sewer gas or urine smells. I would suspect a dead animal behind the walls. That can give off sweet almost urine type odor in the later decomposition stage. It's time for you yourself to crawl under the house and use your nose to find the center of the issue.

Bookmark   May 1, 2012 at 5:00PM
kirkhall

I've heard that insulation can give off an odor too. Did they do anything related to that? Or, if they didn't seal an air entry just right, could you have air "wafting" through your wall insulation and through switch plates bringing the odor?

Bookmark   May 3, 2012 at 11:29AM
suburbanmd

What exactly do you mean by re-piping the septic system?

Bookmark   May 3, 2012 at 5:49PM
More Discussions
Fleck 5600SXT 64k Setup
Well I recently had a new water softener installed...
SheeB
Waste pipe uneven elbow leak
The gaskets are removed to show the situation in the...
rubyhum
Septic tank and question on the "Sponge"
I have a septic tank that when last pumped out had...
big_al_41
Pulldown sprayer leaking
My Moen pulldown faucet (with Reflex Technology!) was...
ginny20
corrosion seen on hot water shutoff valves
I was repairing a minor leak in the kitchen faucet...
jastrong5
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™