Barnmom, I made your hot cocoa mix!

shamboDecember 9, 2012

It's very tasty, however, I'm not using it for hot chocolate. Instead, I'm adding 1-2 tablespoons to coffee for a homemade mocha. I have to drink decaf coffee, and every once in a while I get a craving for a mocha. I don't particularly like the kind available at coffee joints because I'm not a fan of milky drinks. So I thought I'd give a homemade chocolate mix a try.

Your recipe is just perfect. It gives my decaf coffee just enough chocolatey flavor to satisfy my craving but without the milkiness I get at places like Starbucks. I always keep some heavy cream on hand, so if I want it creamier, I'll add a tablespoon or two. (Yes, in my special world, there is a distinct difference between something being creamy and something being milky. I cannot tolerate liquid milk but cream in small quantities is OK.)

I whirled everything up in a coffee grinder, so the end result is a nice powder reminiscent of the chocolate powders available at coffee houses. I used Ghirardelli Double Chocolate Hot Cocoa.

Anyhow, thanks for the recipe. I tried other homemade cocoa recipes that included powdered creamer, but they had a strange flavor I didn't like. I especially appreciate the fact that your recipe contains simple and "real" ingredients. I'll be using it throughout the winter, maybe even the summer. (By the way, since I pulverize everything, it mixes with hot coffee just fine. I put the mocha powder into the bottom of my mug, add a bit of coffee, stir until well blended, and then fill to the brim.) I finally have a solution to my mocha cravings but with the ability to accommodate my need of decaf and avoidance of liquid milk.

Hot Cocoa Mix

1/4 cup of powdered milk
1 tablespoon Droste cocoa powder
1 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon good quality instant coffee
1/2 teaspoon vanilla powder

Dissolve mix in 1/4 cup of cold water in a large mug (powered milk clumps in really hot water), add hot water to fill.

It also works nicely in a blender with a few ice cubes and some cold water.

Eileen

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
momj47

Looks good. I'll have to try it.

I do that with my coffee. We keep a big can of hot chocolate mix next to the coffee maker and add a tablespoon or two to our afternoon coffee. With creamer (dry or liquid) it's a pretty great drink. Gets us through those afternoon meetings.

Bookmark   December 10, 2012 at 7:50AM
arkansas_girl

I'm pretty sure that the cocoa has caffeine so you may want to check on that if you aren't supposed to have any caffeine at all! I know my BIL cannot have anything chocolate because he can't have caffeine.

Bookmark   December 10, 2012 at 7:55AM
shambo

Yes, I know about chocolate and caffeine. So on the few occasions I make a homemade mocha, I try to have it as an afternoon snack, definitely no later than 6 PM. It can keep me awake, but the real reason I avoid it is because overdoing caffeine brings on tinnitus attacks.

Bookmark   December 10, 2012 at 10:51AM
millymoo

I really like these cocoa, mocha recipes! I'd like to create my own peppermint variety since I'm almost out of Starbuck's variety. What would I use to add that peppermint flavour? Crushed candy canes? Peppermint extract? How to add liquid peppermint extract? To the sugar?
Sorry to hijack thread but need some ideas. Thanks!

Bookmark   December 10, 2012 at 11:01AM
More Discussions
Inspire Me PLEASE!
I am currently on a very restrictive “life style...
moosemac
Awesome Shortbread with Caramel and Dark Chocolate
I have picked up so many great recipes from this forum...
dancingqueengw
The Monkey Princess makes pasta and pies
The Princess has Italian grandparents on Dave's side,...
annie1992
Please clarify this butter question......
Help! my brain isn't working on this one & I need...
amck2
More Sourdough Discard & Baker's Kaffeeklatsch
We left off at Troisième I haven't had time and...
plllog
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™