how to get pee smell out of rug

datura-07September 25, 2009

One of our cats (have 5) seems to have started peeing on the small rugs in several rooms. I tossed them but this one is new and I'd like to save it but it is dry and the backing is discolored. Can I save it???? What should I wash it with? Tried ammonia on a different one but I could still smell it.

thanks for any help you can give me.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sephia

Take your cat to the vet for a check-up. To suddenly start peeing in other places outside of the litterbox can signal an urinary tract infection.

Bookmark   September 25, 2009 at 12:37PM
weed30

Ammonia is the *worst* thing you can use - because it smells like pee! Try one of the enzymatic cleaners found at the pet store.

If you can fit it in the washing machine, try that, but do NOT put it in the dryer. The backing might disintegrate and cause a fire hazard.

Bookmark   September 25, 2009 at 1:14PM
carmen_grower_2007

"What Odor". It works on everything and is safe enough to actually spray on a pet --- perfect to remove skunk odor.

Bookmark   September 25, 2009 at 3:45PM
haus_proud

In my experience, once a cat pees on a rug, it will always pee on it because you cannot get the smell completely out. It's best to give the rug (after it's cleaned) to someone who does not have animals.

And I agree that you should have your cat examined for possible urinary tract infection. It is also possible that the cat that is peeing in the wrong places feel threatened by the other cats and cannot comfortably use the litter box because some of the other cats consider it part of their territory and won't let him/her go there. This is especially a possibility if the cat that's peeing is a "new kid on the block."

Bookmark   September 25, 2009 at 8:32PM
datura-07

thanks for the help. Someone told me to use some cider vinegar in the wash and I tried it. The rug smells great - no pee odor at all when I took it out of the washer. I'll see how it is when it is dry.

Bookmark   September 26, 2009 at 5:10PM
joepyeweed

Simple Solution... is the brand name of an enzymatic cleaner that works great for pet urine.

Another brand is Nature's Miracle. Both are about the same, but I prefer the smell of SS to NM.. though both are odorless after they dry.

vinegar is a good choice also. I use it for getting the fish smell out of ice coolers.

Bookmark   September 29, 2009 at 10:44AM
olyagrove

You can also try Odoban
Olya

Bookmark   September 29, 2009 at 3:10PM
More Discussions
Can we say G A S
And it's not me, dh or my two old dogs. It's the new...
Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
cat with renal failure
My 17 yo cat has renal failure and has developed abdominal...
dlana
How to get my new cat to stop fighting old/current cats
I posted a few weeks ago for advice on introducing...
phish_gw
automatic Litter boxes.......
I'm trying to connect with other users of the Cat Genie,,,,,so...
dfdureiko
Smelly dog ears
I am not used to having a long floppy eared dog (Dachshund)....
lily316
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™