Deep trap

bus_driverMay 21, 2011

A tract of modest houses near here were built about 1968 by the same builder. No-hub cast iron drains. The washer box is in the wall with 1 1/2" drain and concealed below it is an extremely deep cast iron trap with sharp bend at the bottom. It is not unusual for the washer to discharge water faster than the trap can handle it with the resulting minor overflow at the box. Even a 1/4 snake will not go through the trap due to the sharp bend at the bottom. Replacing with PVC seems to the best solution.

Other suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
randy427

I believe this is why washer standpipes are now required to be 2". I've always thought expanding soap foam was the culprit.
In a rental, I wrapped the washer drain hose with a 2" wide strip of old innertube rubber until it was a pressure fit into the standpipe. Some duct tape for extra security and it held for several years.

Bookmark   May 23, 2011 at 5:07PM
davidro1

seeing images of P traps, i see they are all the same shape.
There is no "deep" trap option.
I think a normal shaped P trap of 1.5" diameter will still work well.

In Canada, the same washers work off 1.5" traps all the time. When US code got upgraded to require 2" pipe for showers and for washer standpipes, it was to allow longer distances so builders could make larger spaces. Otherwise a lot more venting had to be provided. My writing this out does not mean I know for a fact why a change in Code got voted by the committee; I'm surmising. Indulge me as I repeat the following factoid: in Canada, the exact same washing machines all work without backing up. Now, think about this. In Canada, is the distance of the 1.5" trap arm small enough to work right, or do Canadians just happen to put less soap in their soap trays? I really REALLY think that suds are not the obstacle to overcome.

Bookmark   May 24, 2011 at 7:13AM
bus_driver

Yes, deep traps do exist and were used in this tract of homes.

Here is a link that might be useful: Traps

Bookmark   May 25, 2011 at 9:19AM
More Discussions
Garden Hose iced over
Ok, I know I was stupid. I'm new to home ownership...
Cassandra
De-winterize, re-winterize...costs?
My 24 yr old son is buying a 1950 home on a short sale...
cindywhitall
shower problem....can someone give me a clue?
My hot water plumbing JUST started acting "wonky."...
bevangel_i_h8_h0uzz
Water pressue and other plumbing issues (MULTIPLE ISSUES - LONG)
I have a couple plumbing issues in my house. Some background... Approximately...
gtrshop
Culligan HE vs Kinetico Premier vs Fleck
Hi, After doing some research regarding the above water...
blessedmomof4
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™