Run pipe under footing or through stone wall?

kevin1900May 21, 2013

I would like to run pipe from my basement well pump to a hydrant in the yard. I could run the pipe out the basement wall built in 1904 of fieldstone, OR run it to an adjacent heated 24-inch crawlspace and under the footings there, 48 inches below grade.

I am not sure which would be more difficult. There is not much room in the crawlspace to dig a hole deep enough, even though the outside is accessible. Is there a trick to send a pipe underneath on one side and up on the other?

Or, in the basement, would a rotary hammer work to make a hole through 18 inches of stone and mortar?

I am also prepared to hammer and chisel through the stone if that's the best option - I have done that before.

What is the best way?

Thanks

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
randy427

I've put pipe underneath sidewalks and retaining walls by hammering through a piece of larger pipe, pulling it out (not exactly easy), and then inserting the pipe after taping off the end to keep dirt out.
That's still a lot of digging.
I'd also be concerned about damaging the basement wall by chiseling a hole through it.
I'd use a core drill to bore a neat hole through the wall. They can be rented for about $150 to $250 a day, including the bit, depending on the size.

Bookmark   May 21, 2013 at 12:51PM
kevin1900

Randy, Do you know if a core drill will bore through stone? Thanks.

Bookmark   May 21, 2013 at 1:24PM
kevin1900

Randy, Do you know if a core drill will bore through stone? That would be my preference.

This post was edited by kevin1900 on Tue, May 21, 13 at 14:09

Bookmark   May 21, 2013 at 1:48PM
randy427

With a diamond bit, I don't see why not. The rental center folks should be good for advice.

Bookmark   May 21, 2013 at 5:14PM
More Discussions
Culligan vs. Kinetico for very hard water
We just moved into a 3 year old house. The previous...
kate_ca
Cold Water TOO COLD! What to do?
I know there is a lot of concern over regulating hot...
mrb6228
Pulldown sprayer leaking
My Moen pulldown faucet (with Reflex Technology!) was...
ginny20
38 ga. tank - not getting 2 hot showers?
We have just finished a renovation project that included...
ashebrook
Water Softener - calling justalurker
Hopefully you are still around. I had reached out a...
toddimt
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™