how do i remove this trap?

dougbrMay 16, 2014

It looks like its connected to the cast iron waste pipe with a threaded adapter. Pipe wrench won't bite, it just slides around. Would a chain wrench work on a chromed trap pipe? Any secrets to this? It's been in there 40 years probably.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

The trap (part on the right of the photo) looks like it's connected using lead. That doesn't look like a threaded connection.

    Bookmark   May 16, 2014 at 4:32PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I'd cut it off with a sawzall about 1/4" away from the hub, cut it on the inside almost through to the threads in three places and then collapse it to remove it.

Then clean the threads before inserting a new trap adapter.

    Bookmark   May 16, 2014 at 9:22PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

The method that snoonyb talks about is probably the only way to do it.

You can cut it just once and then use a chisel to collapse it at the cut also. When I've had to do that, I've used a manual hacksaw blade in a holder so I don't overdo the cut into the female fitting too much.

    Bookmark   May 17, 2014 at 9:19AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

It does look like it's caulked with lead but it looks like it's attached that way to a threaded adapter. if i can get it out of the adapter with a torch, is there a fernco donut that would work to attach a new trap? If not I'll try cutting and chiseling as suggested. Thanks.

    Bookmark   May 17, 2014 at 12:17PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

The trap will be of a softer metal and will response easily to heat.

However there are a couple of downsides to a torch;
The joint may have been silver soldered, which will require a hotter burning gas, than NAP.

So, unless you use a heat sink, (a wet towel), and are quick, can allow the heat to migrate to the cast hub causing it to fracture.

Yes there are the appropriate size no-hub couplings.

Which in the end, may be a simpler solution.

Remove some more of the wall to the right in the photo to investigate removing and replacing the whole assembly, all of which can be accomplished with fernco's. and ABS fittings.

Your time, your money

    Bookmark   May 17, 2014 at 1:03PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
what brand water softener
have 2400 sq ft rancher on town water. do not have...
Marble shower panels valve replacement :( !!!
We have a couple of bathrooms with a single handle...
Vamsi Kodavanty
Terminox ISM for iron/manganese removal
Hi, I have had a water softener with other assorted...
Fleck 9100 SXT Programming/Settings
I am finally installing my new Fleck 9100 SXT!!! Thanks...
Help, water filter?
I recently bought a rural home, and have yet to move...
Sponsored Products
Smiling Sriracha Tech Case
$36.99 | Dot & Bo
Parker House - Versailles Double Pedestal Executive Desk -...
Great Furniture Deal
Florence Knoll Style Loveseat
IFN Modern
Darby Springs Rug 9' x 12' - SILVER
$7,799.00 | Horchow
Toscana Italian Collection Large Round Serving Bowl
$129.50 | FRONTGATE
Commercial Electric Recessed Lighting 6 in. Bronze Recessed Gimbal LED Trim
$49.86 | Home Depot
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™