Sump pump question please.

edweatherMay 15, 2013

Just replaced our sump pump with the exact same model as the old one. It has a 1 1/2" NPT discharge. The instructions to the new pump say NOT to use a discharge pipe smaller than the pump discharge. The hose adapter on the old pump is threaded into the old pump discharge, but when I looked down inside the discharge, the actual opening in the adapter is 7/8". We didn't install the original pump, but it looked professionally installed when the pit was made. The old adapter is seized in the old pump and is plastic, so I don't want to break it trying to remove it. The new pump didn't come with an adapter, but I found a 1 1/2" adapter in my pool supplies, with a similar 7/8" opening. Is that ok to use? Or should I go to the store and look for a TRUE 1 1/2" discharge adapter? Thanks in advance. Ed. The photo is of the old pump and adapter. I should also mention that it discharges into a 1 1/2" PVC pipe.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
annkh_nd

I'm no expert, but if the new pump says that you need 1-1/2" discharge or larger, then that is what you need.

You last sentence is confusing - if you are going to 1-1/2" PVC, why is there a reducer out of the old pump? At what point does it go back up to 1-1/2"

Bookmark   May 15, 2013 at 1:35PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
edweather

The 1 1/2" pipe connects to the larger diameter flange you see above the 7/8" reducer. The 7/8" reducer is down inside the adapter/flange. I was as surprised as you when I looked down inside and saw the smaller opening. It worked fine for about 15 years. But like you say if the directions say to use a 1 1/2 " discharge....

That's why I'm asking the question.

Bookmark   May 15, 2013 at 2:33PM
More Discussions
LaToscana Novello Thermostatic Shower Valve
Trouble with LaToscana Novello Shower Valve- no hot...
bathroomblues1
Good shower heads for low water pressure
Hi, We are living in an area with low water pressure....
lynne_melb
Septic tank and question on the "Sponge"
I have a septic tank that when last pumped out had...
big_al_41
the dreaded frozen pipes...
Hello all, I hope someone out there can help me. I...
kineala
De-winterize, re-winterize...costs?
My 24 yr old son is buying a 1950 home on a short sale...
cindywhitall
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™