New Canine Disease being investigated

calliopeSeptember 13, 2013

The Ohio Department of Agriculture should be releasing data very soon on an outbreak of a novel disease reported by Ohio Veterinarians. There is suspicion it may be linked to a mutated form of porcine circovirus, jumping species to dogs. It sounds like a nasty one and preliminary investigations are not complete. It often presents as vomiting and loose stools but has lethal and sometimes rapid progression to vascular complications. Cases have been reported in California, clusters in Ohio and suspected cases further in the the midwest. Although dogs involved showed circovirus, it may be much like corona virus in cats, in that healthy animals may also have the virus, shed it but not progress to illness without some sort of trigger. I don't think this is a time to panic, but I definitely read up on it since I live in Ohio and want to follow the information presented, since it sounds rather nasty and may involve acting sooner on vetting an animal with symptoms instead of 'sitting on it' with a wait and see as we are often encouraged to do when we see the barfing and loose stools.

Here is a link that might be useful: Seattle Times article on novel disease

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ibmudpie

Thanks for posting the article.

I live 45 minutes from Cincinnatti Ohio. There is an article posted in the Cin. Enquirer about this yesterday. I tried to post the link but it did not work.
Google---Pet Stop Cincinnatti Ohio tab down to find the article. This is a real nasty disease and it kills quickly.

Bookmark   September 22, 2013 at 9:19AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ibmudpie

Thanks for posting the article.

I live 45 minutes from Cincinnatti Ohio. There is an article posted in the Cin. Enquirer about this yesterday. I tried to post the link but it did not work.
Google---Pet Stop Cincinnatti Ohio tab down to find the article. This is a real nasty disease and it kills quickly.

Bookmark   September 22, 2013 at 9:25AM
More Discussions
Adopted older stray dog now poops in the house...
Hi, I adopted a stray dog from mexico. She is very...
Lynn Souliere Neal
Dog training human.....
I am an intermittent dog trainer. I worked hard at...
agmss15
swee' Pea got her angel wings yesterday
I lost my sweet dane girl to liver failure. It was...
Ninapearl
Elsa/cystitis/vinegar
Last night I was frantically searching through messages...
ElsasMom
Does anyone have a spayed dog that has a brownish discharge?
I came to this Forum to ask your opinions about something...
pickyshopper
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™